Hardwiring a one gang shortlength ( 1 ft approx) extending lead into a wall outlet

Why would you need a 5 A fuse in the FCU assuming the plug of the TV already has one fitted and the extension lead is suitable for 13 A?

Of course there‘s no need for a larger fuse but I can‘t see any reason to replace an existing 13 A one.

The fuse could be 13A if the extension cable is 13A rated.

Alternatively a less chunky 5A rated cable could be used if a 5A fuse was fitted.

But both are botches anyway, the sensible solution is just to chop the plug off and wire it in, as has been done already.

My point is to check that the fuse is 5A if doing this, the likelihood is that it has the default 13A fuse. The cable supplied with the TV definitely won't be 13A rated, more likely 5A, and possibly even 3A. Check the writing on it and fuse accordingly. It may not state a rating but just a code, in which case google will tell you the current rating.

Sponsored Links
At the risk of stating something that you've probably worked out for yourself at this point, if you have specific requirements about how your TV is mounted, get one that doesn't have a hard-wired mains cable.

The fuse could be 13A if the extension cable is 13A rated.
Alternatively a less chunky 5A rated cable could be used if a 5A fuse was fitted.
But both are botches anyway, the sensible solution is just to chop the plug off and wire it in, as has been done already.
My point is to check that the fuse is 5A if doing this, the likelihood is that it has the default 13A fuse. The cable supplied with the TV definitely won't be 13A rated, more likely 5A, and possibly even 3A. Check the writing on it and fuse accordingly. It may not state a rating but just a code, in which case google will tell you the current rating.
Television sets have internal fuses and appliance flexes have different rules than our wiring.

The label on the back of the TV or its manual may tell you the required fuse too.
I doubt that as most places in the world do not have such things as plug fuses.

Sponsored Links
At the very least it should state the current draw or power consumption in Watts.

If you fuse it one fuse rating higher then it should be safe to assume the cable is adequate for this.

I may be very wrong...

However, technically, with a cable of only 30cm, it may be difficult to find a flex that couldn't carry 13A?!

If my sums are correct, would a 0.5mm2 cable dissipate less than 2W at this current and length?

So, half an Amp it is then, or 16A here in Europe
Here IN EUROPE we use 13A plugs containing fuses. And this forum is called
1704198545321.png

You are worrying about it unnecessarily.
However relevant it may seem, offering advice irrelevant to the title of the forum and the location of the equipment and based on another countries rules and regulations is rather futile.

For example here in Europe we drive on the left but I would not advise drivers in another country to drive according to our rules and laws.

I may be very wrong...

However, technically, with a cable of only 30cm, it may be difficult to find a flex that couldn't carry 13A?!

If my sums are correct, would a 0.5mm2 cable dissipate less than 2W at this current and length?
Yes you are wrong, 0.5mm² cable running at 13A will overheat, possibly to the point the insulation could melt and drip but certainly deform.

Last edited:
Don't be silly.
I don't believe I'm being silly to offer correct advice.

An electrical device designed for the UK market is very likely to include instruction on correct installation according to UK rules/regulations/laws and as such it should be installed accordingly.

Yes you are wrong, 0.5mm² cable running at 13A will overheat, possibly possibly to the point the insulation could melt and drip or at least deform.
Can I please ask what the power dissipation on a 30cm, 0.5mm2 cable would be at 13A?

As far as I know the purpose of the BS1362 fuse in a UK mains plug is protecting appliance leads in case of a short circuit if plugged into a 32-amp circuit and protecting extension leads and power strips against overload.

Some manufacturers do specify fuse sizes but I am not aware of any official regulations requiring fuses smaller than 13 amps, unless overload protection is required. Please correct me if I‘m wrong!

Can I please ask what the power dissipation on a 30cm, 0.5mm2 cable would be at 13A?
Your calculation of 2W doesn't smack me in the face as wrong.

Off the top of my head that's about 80mΩ/m. W=I²R ~ 169*0.025 ~ 4W give or take half a house brick.

Hello,
My current wall mounted OLED TV has been hardwired into a wall spur outlet, which is connected to a switch on the ring main . At the time it was mounted, I did not realise removing the plug from TVs power cable would invalidate its warranty, so I am keen not make the same mistake when I come top replace the TV. With that in mind, I wondered whether hardwiring a short length one gang extension to the wall outlet would suffice.I don't want to replace the outlet with a socket as I want to ensure any future TV is as close to the back wall as possible , but i don't know if that kind of arrangement is safe or legal. Could you please advise me? Thanks
Where the cable go's into the tv is there a panel that you can unscrew and then if you are lucky the connection in the tv is with some kind of screw connector block so you can just swap the cable over and keep the original plug cable and put it back if it needs warranty repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back