Hardwiring a one gang shortlength ( 1 ft approx) extending lead into a wall outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My current wall mounted OLED TV has been hardwired into a wall spur outlet, which is connected to a switch on the ring main . At the time it was mounted, I did not realise removing the plug from TVs power cable would invalidate its warranty, so I am keen not make the same mistake when I come top replace the TV. With that in mind, I wondered whether hardwiring a short length one gang extension to the wall outlet would suffice.I don't want to replace the outlet with a socket as I want to ensure any future TV is as close to the back wall as possible , but i don't know if that kind of arrangement is safe or legal. Could you please advise me? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could, or you could just swap the FCU for a single socket.
Yes but that would make the plug and socket stand proud of the wall too much because of the outlet is sited. If I use an extender, I can move the socket and plug connection so they dont get in the way of the wall bracket

Sponsored Links
Yes but that would make the plug and socket stand proud of the wall too much because of the outlet is sited. If I use an extender, I can move the socket and plug connection so they dont get in the way of the wall bracket
Move wall bracket ?
Don’t understand your problem , I have a twin wall socket with a 4gang extension lead and a Sat box all behind my tv ( wall mounted)

I don't see an issue as long as the cable is rated at or above the rating of the fuse in the outlet.

5A should be sufficient for any TV.

You may well find that it has a 13A fuse fitted. Extension or not, this should be swapped for a 5A one.

BUT... chopping off the plug shouldn't invalidate the warranty anyway, you may be solving a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Move wall bracket ?
Don’t understand your problem , I have a twin wall socket with a 4gang extension lead and a Sat box all behind my tv ( wall mounted)
I want a new wall bracket to be in the same position as the current one. How far forward is your TV from the wall?It must be quite a way forward if you have all that behind it.
Originally I had in mind installing an LG G3 Oled, but they are designed to go flush against the wall, so the cables would have to be run through trunking but now I am looking at alternatives

Just cut off the plug.
Or even if the OP was truly concerned, they could buy another lead and cut the plug off that one!

image55.png

Why would you need a 5 A fuse in the FCU assuming the plug of the TV already has one fitted and the extension lead is suitable for 13 A?

Of course there‘s no need for a larger fuse but I can‘t see any reason to replace an existing 13 A one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back