Hardwiring a one gang shortlength ( 1 ft approx) extending lead into a wall outlet

To save us all reading all that please show where it mentions changing a plug.
You may of missed it but i have put the relevant section as a large picture section 5
"being fitted with a non original spare part"
170336732.jpg

Sponsored Links
Chopping off the plug would not be repairing or intervening with the TV at all.

If it is then removing it from the box is also an "intervention".

I am not really arguing with you as I too think it would be stupid for them to refuse a warranty repair but its there in their T's and C's and it reads to me like there is a risk that they could refuse under those T's and C's. And at £600 for a new one its not worth the risk.
It seems to me that Chopping off the plug "could" be classed to be intervening with the TV. And then fitting with a new plug would be a non original spare part.

Last edited:
I am not really arguing with you as I too think it would be stupid for them to refuse a warranty repair
There you go then.

but its there in their T's and C's and it reads to me like there is a risk that they could refuse under those T's and C's.
It does not.

And at £600 for a new one its not worth the risk.
Then ask before you buy it.

It seems to me that Chopping off the plug "could" be classed to be intervening with the TV. And then fitting with a new plug would be a non original spare part.
Then you are mistaken.

Sponsored Links
I've been looking around t'internet for a definitive answer on whether cutting off a plug can void a warranty - there are so many questions and posts on multiple forums like this, asking the same question.

So is there a definitive answer?

No, because there doesn't need to be one.

We have the sale of goods (edited to add..) and consumer rights acts.
It is perfectly valid to make a claim under the acts, rather than under the manufacturers warranty...

It would then be a case for the manufacture to prove, that your changing of the plug, could cause a detrimental effect on the appliance.

However, although the law applies for 5/6 years, it may get progressively difficult to claim against, as time goes by - if your TV warranty was particularly generous, you may wish to stick to their small print.

If you are prepared for a fight, the law appears to be on your side!

Last edited:
I've been looking around t'internet for a definitive answer on whether cutting off a plug can void a warranty - there are so many questions and posts on multiple forums like this, asking the same question.

So is there a definitive answer?

No, because there doesn't need to be one.

We have the sale of goods act.
It is perfectly valid to make a claim under the act, rather than under the manufacturers warranty...

It would then be a case for the manufacture to prove, that your changing of the plug, could cause a detrimental effect on the appliance.

However, although the law applies for 5 years, it may get progressively difficult to claim against, as time goes by - it may depend on how generous your manufacturers warranty is.

If you are prepared for a fight, the law appears to be on your side!
So to avoid any possible fights then don't cut the plug off until your warenty is out. Because in the meantime for 5 weeks ( or however many ) you need to spend fighting then you are without a TV/washing machine/ dishwasher.

Does not apply, plug is not a spare part .Though seems to be quite a few here .
Again I am not arguing with you so no need to be rude. :rolleyes:
I don't think its a spare part - you don't think its a spare part but I wouldn't fancy arguing with the manufacturer who is doing everything they can in order to not replace the equipment - meanwhile I have to take my clothes to the launderette for 5 weeks while I write letters to the relevant body.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back