Harmonisation of UK sockets with Europe

The sharp eyed would have noticed

the traditional BS 1361 13A socket outlet

that 1361 is the standard for consumer unit cart fuses. The standard for 13A accessories is 1363.

RF, I expected more from you, lad!

Sponsored Links

that 1361 is the standard for consumer unit cart fuses. The standard for 13A accessories is 1363.

it was late when i read it took a ms to sink without
checking bs no,s

I'd spotted it but couldn't be bothered to reply :p

Sponsored Links
You had me a good one then RF, after reading the wikipedia article on schuko plugs and sockets I was about to post a raving reply including 'not in my house' , 'not in my installs' and 'the customer will get asked if they want a useless socket that none of their appliances will work with or a beautifull british BS 1363 socket'.

Never mind.

Schuko - about as much use as the 4-pin pendants I have in my garage, that I can't find a stockist of lamps for...

There are actually quite a few glaring errors in that article if you look close enough ;)

"BS 1361" was not a deliberate error :oops:

By past experience, if we were to have a new standard plug it would not be an existing one, but an entirely new design, not used anywhere for electrical connections.

Butt plugs have not been used on 230V or 115V mains, so they would be a solution.

****You read it here first :LOL: ****

stoday....sat by your computer at 3 o'clock in the morning..thinking about butt plugs....the mind boggles...javascript:emoticon(':confused:')

But, spot on about an entirely new socket design as no ONE european country could be seen to have a manufacturing advantage over other european member states........therefore, 'harmonisation' will never happen.

The fusing issue is easy enough to solve, just make fused sockets.

BTW much of europe has already converged on using either schuko or french sockets with equipment using a hybrid plug that fits both types.

The fusing issue is easy enough to solve, just make fused sockets.

BTW much of Europe has already converged on using either schuko or french sockets with equipment using a hybrid plug that fits both types.

The European plug and socket project ran for around 25 years - they finally gave up when a prototype was rejected by one member state because it had shutters!

I believe that country now requires shutters - the mind boggles - don't go there, it ended in tears last time they tried it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back