Has my gas engineer fitted my fernox tf1 the right way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had new boiler fitting and just had a question regarding tf1 filter. The filter is fitted on the return pipe, the pipe is coming down from the ceiling then up into the boiler. The gas engineer has fitting the arrow on the tf1 filter pointing up towards the ceiling and i thought the arrow should be pointing down follwing the flow of the water in the return pipe into the boiler? Is he correct the way hes fitted it or am i correct? Also if its fitted incorrectly (arrow wrong way round) does it make any difference? Thanks. Also he said i have to send off for the baxi warranty registration is this correct? He said he will fill in the gas commissioning bit and have to contact baxi? Thanks .

Sponsored Links
20180325_220741.jpg
20180325_220741.jpg
20180325_220332.jpg

Not only has he inflicted one of these abominations upon you, but yes, the arrow should point to the boiler if is on the return pipe.

Ask him politely to change it for something less likely to leak (a panty liner would be better), and pay attention to the arrows.

We all make mistakes, but fitting a TF1 is another level

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes i though so. What would happen if its wasn't turned round? Wouldnt the tf1 catch any of the dirt?
Also i will get him to change the position of the wirless thermostat receiver as its too close to where the sink is going to be and may get water on it.

Ive had the gas engineer back to the job and hes telling me hes turned something around inside and that it doesn't matter if the arrow is the wrong way. Is he talking a load of bs? Also is the wireless thermostat receiver ok near the sink (see pic) where there's a risk of water splashing on it?

I would ask for the receiver to be moved. As for the arrow....sounds like bs to me, but perhaps those are bit more familiar with those filters will be able to advise. Or maybe a call to Fernox.

Out of the 5 we fitted every one leaked and got ripped out. But either way the arrow was pointing in the right direction.

The manifold has specific shaped ports that are a certain orientaton to direct the flow in a specific way ensuring it circulates arond the magnet properly first before heading through the outlet port to the boiler. It also needs the correct O rings (there are 3 different types) dependent on orientation and water flow direction.

As @Dan Robinson mentions though, they can be a nightmare of a filter to service and I'd be asking for it to be replaced by an all metal version.

Your heating engineer is talking balls. There's nothing inside the body except a magnet that can't be changed. It's the black part between the valves with the arrow on that has to be rotated so that the arrow is in the correct direction of flow. The filter will need to be removed to do this, and the clip on the join between the main body and black part between valves will need removing to allow rotation. Won't work effectively as it is. Engineer obviously can't be arzed.

Instructions here -

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ructions.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1txU7I6R27BUEAOi4VEL7Q

Last edited:
Yeh i thought so. So its a matter of taking filter off and unclipping the metal part pull it away from main body and rotate 180 degrees push back into the main body and push clip back in and reconnect it the filter? I will make him do it before i pay him for the whole job.

Also can it be rotated 180 degrees so arrow points down or will it only go as far as the horizontal position so 90 degrees only?

Nope, he needs to isolate the filter valves top and bottom, remove the filter off the port manifold, disconnect the manifold from the valves, turn it through 180deg so the arrow is pointing the correct way in line with the flow of water then reconnect the filter using the correct coloured O rings for its orientation.

Oh and if down south he should be registering the boiler with gas safe/BC and if he's half decent then in turn with Baxi, it shouldn't be left to you. I register all my installs with the manufacturers as a matter of course for the customer.

From what ive read on the internet there isnt coloured o rings for this tf1 anymore i think its done on the circlips now. I think your thinking of the older version of the tf1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back