Has my gas engineer fitted my fernox tf1 the right way

Last time I installed one of them, they had packs of O rings, granted it was a long time ago and I wouldn't use them now cause they're shyte. As you say that may have updated now. They will have O rings though to supply the seal though maybe not various colours.

Sponsored Links
They're still shyte and your installer is still a lazy twart.
Too right he's lazy. He was supposed to come round today to correct it but he called instead to say if he turns the filter arrow around it will take more space, i don't see how as all he has to do is spin the manifold around. I think hes trying to talk me out doing it. Also hes got loads of green flux all over the pipwork which he hasn't cleaned. Most of the floorboards hes lifted are broken as he must have ripped them up instead cutting the tong and groove. I will also get a gas certificate done by someone else so they can check his work and make sure the new gas supply hes put in is ok and the pressure is right. wished i had someone else do it now. Lesson learnt.

Wires hanging out of the receiver aswell **** poor I hope he was the cheapest quote :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Yes i may do that. Hes come back and hes put the tf1 the right way round after telling him how to do it and has moved the wireless box to the other wall under the boiler still not ideal but its away from the sink. Thanks for your advice.

Wires hanging out of the receiver aswell **** poor I hope he was the cheapest quote :whistle:
Yeh he was cheap. Charged me £850 to fit boiler to do all the central heating pipework from scratch, hang 7 rads and new gas supply. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Not only has he inflicted one of these abominations upon you, but yes, the arrow should point to the boiler if is on the return pipe.

Ask him politely to change it for something less likely to leak (a panty liner would be better), and pay attention to the arrows.

We all make mistakes, but fitting a TF1 is another level
I have had a tf1 for 3 years now and no leaks. There's a service kit with seals that you can buy, if you ever open it just replace the seals

Last edited:
Yeh he was cheap. Charged me £850 to fit boiler to do all the central heating pipework from scratch, hang 7 rads and new gas supply. I suppose you get what you pay for.

If you paid £850 for a full system then everything fitted is stolen.

Should be expecting over double that for a straight swap of the boiler and a proper job and that's in the north

If you paid £850 for a full system then everything fitted is stolen.

Should be expecting over double that for a straight swap of the boiler and a proper job and that's in the north
I think he means the 850 was just for labour and he supplied his own boiler and paid for materials. Which is a fair price if it was just 2-3 days

Last edited:
Send it back to Fernox They'll want it for a museum piece. :rolleyes:
They get a lot of good reviews actually which is why I bought mine. I think they had problems with their earlier models leaking but they fixed it.

Anyway theyre much better than the magnaclitoris and spirofeck

Last edited:
@adam911 can you show us some more pics of the boiler install? Including the flue outside the property.

Tbh with you it looks like a decent install. Aside from the tf1 issue and the untidy wiring.

Also, not sure with the model you've installed but some boilers require side access. Check the manual but it's probably the case he was allowed to install it so close to the wall

Also I would have preferred if he routed the condensate pipe to your internal kitchen drain rather than take it outside. They have a tendency to freeze when it gets really cold.

Has the gas pipe been routed outside as well?

Last edited:
Yes £850 labour, ive had to supply everything.

Ive had a fernox tf1 fitted to a boiler in another house for 3-4 years and no leaks. You can buy the o rings service kit for £2 from plumb center.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back