has someone got a photo of starter motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
transit r reg 2.5, has anybody got a photo of the back of the starter, just so i can check i have all the wires in the right place, especially the switch wire thanks :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
I don't have any pics mate but I doubt if you could go wrong here.....
the solenoid has 2 large wire connections - one that goes into the bowels of the starter itself that you won't disturb, and the other one is the wire direct from the battery.
The wire from the ignition switch will be a much smaller spade terminal or small round one.
John :)

i may sound stupid here, but the starter i have fitted is slightly differant to original, i followed how it was wired before, but something is wrong, the main pos from the battery goes to the solinoid, left hand thread , the switch cable goes down to a thread at the bottom of the back of the starter and the neg has been attached to one of the fixing bolts, does this sound wright :?:

Sounds about right to me, don't know about the left hand thread though? :confused:

Sponsored Links
if all that is wright, ive already changed all the wires its got to the secound hand starter then, it cant be antthing else, thanks

comming back to the sloinoid, the is no secound wire running into the bowels of the starter, also as i said ive changed the pos and switch wire, whats cofusing me is the replacment cables came with a connector with the main pos and the switch wire connected to the solinoid next to each other, i took this block off so the switch wire could be attached to the thread at the bottom of the sarter, im now wandering if the switch should go on the small thread next tc the main pos and not down the bottom :?:

You've done spot on mate :D
That left hand thread is a new one on me. :eek:
Is everything ok now?
John :)

Sorry I posted this before your last comment.
The wire 'to the bowels of the starter' (my comment) may not be visible as a wire, more like an insulated strap.
Everything else sounds ok, so lets know what happens!
J

will try putting the switch wire by the main pos tomorrow , all that can go wrong is it will go bang let u know how i get on :eek: :eek:

put the switch wire onto the right hand thread on the solinoid, bingo the starter turns, trouble is that is all it does, it wizzes round on the turn of the key, but doesnt actually turn the engine, i assume it isnt engaged with the fly wheel, any suggestions :idea: neil

Connect it to the small terminal, the large one will cause the starter to turn but not engage, the small one is the solonoid which engages the motor with the flywheel and connects the starter.

Peter

No, leave the cables as they were connected and connect a wire from the battery+ terminal to the small connector on the starter, the one with the thin wire going to it, if you just touch the wire to the terminal, if the starter and all the connections are OK the starter should turn the engine. If it does but you can't start it from the ignition switch there will be a fault in the 12 volt supply somewhere.

just a throught, in between the two threads on the solinoid is a spade connector. would that be used for anything :?:

That should be the one that the thin wire is connected to - unless there is anything else connected to the same terminal.

Sponsored Links
Back