Have an issue with fitting recessed lights, not snug

O i wasnt thinking of sealing around the rim. I was htinking of pulling down the unit a little, sqeeze a small drop of either caulk, or any adhesive and push it back up again i.e. you wipe off any that squeezes out of the rim. So Ideally a drop on each side which needs pushing in

Sponsored Links
I've only got your descriptions to work from, if you think a couple of drops will be sufficient then try it out on one fitting first and see how it goes. However, if you sparingly apply a complete ring around the fitting then you can be sure that you wont have any light escaping around the rim once the fitting is installed.

Do the instructions say a thickness range for the clips.

Sometimes its best to double up the plasterboard , either by reaching
across with a piece from above if possible or putting it in and using the spring pressure to hold it in placewhile you push the fitting in.

you can also

for example, with a 3 inch light.
cut a 5 inch square of an offcut of plasterboard and drill a same size light hole, as you used in the ceiling hole into it.

Obviously this wont go through the hole, so cut it in half, either put it in loose or plaster or no-nails it in and fit lights when dry.

I would test fit the lights in an offcut of board first to see what the problem is first and how to resolve it.

You will also get the knack for when you fit on to the finished ceiling

Remember though if you do pack them out, the thicker you make the board .
The more tension you create on the board and increase the risk of chipping the edge.

rocky i didnt actually think of doubling the plaster board before, I think i will give it a try,

if it doesnt work i will just caulk it.

Sponsored Links
right just tried the doubling up, its not working.

What would you suggest now? the caulk/sealant or shall i use some grab adhesive?

Have you a picture of the light/ clip

Is it the weight of the fitting causing it to drop or what.

some of the larger fittings you move the clip down from within the fitting after you have fitted it.

I like rocky's suggestion to try one on a spare piece of plasterboard, so you can see yourself exactly what is going wrong. (It's not Artexed, is it?)

rocky the picture works for me. Just go to Kanlux.eu and type Ralf DL220

Btw I have tried Rockys method by doubling the plaster board but no change.

Do you think there are any clips out there that could probably fit my light units?

I guess the suggestion is not coming across the way it's been worded, but...

- get a piece of spare plasterboard
- drill the mounting hole in it
- hold it in you hand and fit the luminaire to it.

You should now, by being able to examine both sides of the board, be able to see what is going wrong, using your engineering skills. And to come up with an answer for it.

Them clips are rubbish, did the wire keep popping out the end and the thing twist.
But they should work unless the fittings too heavy.

you could look for similar ones on a cheap downlighter and use them.

however you should not have to.

Why are they so loose , is the hole too big, a lack of tension on the vertical bit will affect the horizontal bit.

you may need to pack between the vertical bit and the hole wall if it is

Rocky, that is exactly what happened at first. The clips would twist and come out

However I managed to stick to a technique where that no longer happened however some of the out of 16, around 4-5 are not as snug as they should be but seem as though they can be easily mended with even a little caulk however two of them are a little worse in that they leak out some light from the side of the unit.

BS3036 I still dont quite get what you mean by drilling the plasterboard to the mounting hole.

Basically what I did was, at the end of the clips fix on some plaster board pieces so that when the clips do sit in, they are pushing up twice as much as they should be due to the plasterboard "extensions" this was a slight alternative to what rocky recommended as his method lead to the plasterboard moving out of place each time i lift the unit in.

Are the holes too big

Get an offcut of plasterboard

Cut hole like you did for the lights originally

fit light into that board but not wired up

look to see what you are doing wrong

Post a pic of that light in the spare bit of board from reverse side to show the clips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back