Have I destroyed it??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scantronic 9449 with 9427 keypad

Cutting some carpet back a few weeks ago, I caught the alarm cable that goes from the keypad to the main box in the garage. I'd cut through the red & black wires, causing the keypad to lose power and the small speaker in the lounge to go off. Disconnected the speaker and left it to sort out later.

Well today I snapped another 2 wires, causing the main siren to go off. Still no power to keypad, so didn't know what to do.

Found some terminal blocks, and connected the wires, hoping to get the keypad working to disarm it. As soon as I connected the red wire to a block, the alarm shut off. I connected the rest of them, but still didn't have any power to the keypad. I now have no power to the room sensors it seems.
Have I blown something?. The main box is powered from a fused spur, with a 3A fuse. Changed that, but not joy. Its dead.

Any ideas? or is it for the bin?

Sponsored Links
As you reconnected the red wire, probably the bell hold , you will have restored power that the bell box needs to keep quiet, and you will have popped a fuse within the panel, open up the front of the main 9448 panel , remove mains first ,locate the fuses and replaced the popped one with a 1 amp 20mm quick blow fuse , maplins stock them and various others places , so do ebay.

Any probs post back,
Cheers Madman

Thanks for that. I'll have a look when I finish work tomorrow.

Hi. Only just got around to trying the new fuses. I disconnected from the mains, and replaced the fuse that had blown. But, as soon as I put it in, it blew. I disconnected the large battery that is on the main board, put in another fuse. As soon as I reconnect the battery, the fuse blows again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's still a short on the circuit somewhere then. I would rechech where you made your joint that nothing is shorting there, and also that you haven't accidentally damaged the cable somewhere else too.

Ha! I was getting a little ahead of myself and forgot I hadn't re-attached the sensor where I had been decorating. Thats where the short was. Put that on, and now got power back to everything.

When I plug the battery in, both the external and internal alarms are sounding. Putting the code into the keypad wont silence them.

Could the code have reset, with it having no power for a month?

I've not connected to the mains yet, so I just unplugged the battery again.

You shouldn't lose the code when it's powered down. When you power up, it will always make a racket but your 4-digit (no "A", "B"...) should stop it. If the unit has defaulted, the code will be 1234.

Have someone else stand by the keypad when you apply power and see what the lights do... you'd expect a tamper (hammer LED) 'cos you've got no mains and the panel lid is open...

just tried again, still no joy. Both sirens are going. Power to the keypad, but none of the LED's are lit next to any of the errors or zones. Tried our old code, 1234, and 0000, none of them turn it off. So pulled the plug on the battery again.

You shouldn't lose the code when it's powered down. When you power up, it will always make a racket but your 4-digit (no "A", "B"...) should stop it. If the unit has defaulted, the code will be 1234.

Have someone else stand by the keypad when you apply power and see what the lights do... you'd expect a tamper (hammer LED) 'cos you've got no mains and the panel lid is open...

I'll see if I can get me dad round tomorrow to watch the keypad.

What happened to the bell cable? When you apply power (to the bell), it shouldn't go off unless the panel (control box) tells it to through the "BELL" connection. However, when you remove the power, the bell should sound for a while, powered by its own internal battery.

Is this happening?

Make sure that your keypad wires were mended correctly and that you've got the "CLK" and "DATA" connections the right way round (check the colours...) If you have any doubt about the integrity of your repair and if there are spare, unused cores in that cable, use the spares for the clk and data (you only need 4 cores for the keypad and it may be wired in 6- or 8-core cable).

Of course, if you've got a multimeter, you could check the continuity...

As soon as I pull the battery connector, both sirens stop instantly. I'll have to strip the heat shrink on the repair and see. It was only cut in one place and work fine before.

okay... You can stop the bell by disconnecting the "BELL" input and then you won't annoy the neighbours so much. The speaker is connected to the "LS" terminal. Both of these are near the top of the board.

Do you have a meter? Do you have spare cores in the keypad cable?

will look tomorrow. Gave up in favour of beer and curry! Thanks for peoples help so far!

Right. I have no spare wires to the keypad. I do have a meter.

right. sorted. Nothing has changed. But when I just tried it, it accepted the code and flashed up all the zone errors and tamper fault. Put code in again and it silenced it. Seems to be setting ok, so I'll see how we get on!

Cheers for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back