Having my dog put down tomorrow, am I a murderer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She cannot eat or drink without throwing up. She just lays around panting with her cancerous growth looking like a small puppy laying on her side. BUT she wags her tail, every time I mention her name.

Her back legs are swollen, but the rest of her is withering.

It is time to go, but why do I feel like a murderer?

The vet is coming tomorrow, but I still feel guilty.

Sponsored Links
Would you feel worse if she suffered longer?

Ok animals can't talk but humans can and in the condition your dog is in even humans would say , hey I've had enough now but thanks for the memories. Unfortunately humans struggle with ethical issues and are forced to endure against their will.

As above, you are absolutely doing the right thing, it might not seem it tonight but believe me its for the best.

I've lost 2 german shepards in the past so i know what you're going through 100%, when i took my last one to the emergency vet i knew she wasn't well but naively thought they'd give her some pills, an injection and i'd be on my way...........i left the vets without my baby, thats enough to make a grown man cry, i've got a tears just writing this.

I felt i'd driven my dog to her death, i beat myself up about it for over a year, i felt like i betrayed her, but time healed and i realised i'd saved her from anymore pain, she was in a better place, running free with all her mates.

Honestly, do not feel like a murderer

Had my cat put down after fourteen years and felt like a murderer too. You are not alone in feeling so guilty. I could'nt speak to the vet when she gave the final injection and I walked home in tears. The guilt lasted for around three months so you have a way to go yet but it will get better. I think the worst thing is that you can't explain to the animal why you are doing it.
Sorry to hear your bad news
:(

Sponsored Links
You are doing the right thing..... Your dog loves you and trusts you to do the right thing for her. I was in the same position some years ago with my German Shepherd and even now my eyes water when I think of him. At the time I too felt guilty and I put the call to the vet off longer than I should have but now I feel more guilty that I dragged it out too long and he suffered more than I should have. Say your goodbyes and let him go with dignity

We had our King Charles put down on 31st Dec 2005 and I am not ashamed to say I cried over it. The wife couldn't face it so went out about an hour before hand, (we had it done at home so he was in familiar surroundings), and when the vet had explained what she was going to do and what would happen she took his paw and he just turned his head, looked at me as if to say "Thank you, I can't take anymore", and I just crumbled. It can take a hell of a long time to get over it. In fact I don't know if you do get over it but you learn to live with the pain. You will see other dogs who will remind you of her, even in years to come, but eventually you will realise you have done her a great service by not letting her suffer any more.
Thoughts are with you.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Over the years, you've done the best for her, and no doubt this has been repaid tenfold - not that us pet owners are looking for a specific payback. It's just the bond that exists.

You have to steal yourself to do one last thing for her. The most difficult thing you can do, but unfortunately necessary. That's the tough end of the deal with pets, but we keep doing it.

Had the same thing with our cat 6 years ago. Took him (Monty) for a scan as vet said his leg problem was poss due to nerve. Came away with terminal cancer diagnosis. We kept him at home for a few months as he was still enjoying life, but knew when the time came.

I know exactly how it is.

Ian

You are doing the right thing, it's a very hard discission to make, but if you can alleviate the suffering then it's the right thing to do.
There is no pain felt by your beloved pet, just an injection it's just like going to sleep, but please be there for her at the end.
Time will heal the pain you will feel, just try to remember the good times you have had together.

Wotan

We had to have our last Border Collie, put down. She had cancer and was suffering. The vet told us he thought she had less than a month to live. We were gutted after she'd gone and vowed never to have another dog. 6 months later though, we had the chance to have our present Border Collie and he's a cracker. When his time finally comes, we'll both be retired and although we've already said he's definitely the last dog we'll have, I'm sure that we'd have another one (well I'd like another one now, but she's adamant )
Guilt is a natural feeling, but I'm sure you'd not want your dog to suffer needlessly. (pity doctors are quite happy to allow humans to suffer though, but that's for another thread)
My thoughts go out to you.

dude,i feel for you i really do, :cry:
like others i too had to make the heart breaking descision to put my gsd down about 4 years ago.
as a responsible animal owner it is your duty of care to make sure that any animal you own does not suffer in any way.
your friend knows you love her,you will have pangs of guilt but take comfort that she will no longer be in pain,she may be asking for you to make this descision?
i cried like a baby when i had to do it,dont be ashamed they are part of our familys,
cyber hug going to you m8. :(

It's a fookin hard thing to do mate.... really is, but only because you built a bond.... imagine your mate's grandad, he's asked to go to Switzerland to be "put down"...... he'd wave when you called his name !!! doesn't mean you're doing the wrong thing. You really need to heed the advice from the vet !!!

i swatted a fly earlier that was looking like it fancied my lasagne... and i felt really bad about it as i wiped it off the fly swatter !!!
Should we be able to destroy life wuite so easily?

Flies yes!
Filthy germ ridden pests!

in terms of mathematical scale... you're not much bigger than a fly in terms of cells... what makes you more important in terms of "exisiting"?

Why do we shed more tears for our pets than for our fellow beings, is it the unconditional love they give us?

The following poem hangs on the wall of our local pet crematorium.

Do not stand at my grave and weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye

Just be there for her at the end.

Sponsored Links
Back