Hayter H1842 transmission belt replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m trying to replace the transmission belt on a Hayter H1842 lawn tractor (I think this is the same as a Countax 600H) but having problems fitting new belt - see picture.

I don’t see how it is possible to get the belt past the (green) metal bar that’s just to the right of the main clutch pulley (curved bar at bottom of attached pic). Unfortunately, the belt I’m replacing was broken so didn’t remove - so, cant just reverse that procedure. I’m assuming I don’t need to remove everything before it on the clutch side as this would seem like an unusually complicated process to replace a transmission belt. I therefore assume I missing something with this that makes it relatively easy?!
95E9D494-54D3-49A8-A4EF-3F6E327885DE.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That green metal bar usually has a hexagon head and it's nut should be captive.....often it just needs to be well slackened but not removed to get the belt past.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I can see it better now - I didn't realise it is cranked before.
Most unlikely to be welded I think - either look for a nut on the other side of the engine deck, or brush the crap away for a better look see!
Belt replacement is rarely easy but I've never had to shift a clutch before to do it.

Have cleared the crap and still can’t see any nut. Looks welded and on engine deck side the engine block covers where the bar would attach - so, no accessible nut that side either.

Still think I must be missing something on this. Can post more pics if that would help.

Have cleared the crap and still can’t see any nut. Looks welded and on engine deck side the engine block covers where the bar would attach - so, no accessible nut that side either.

Still think I must be missing something on this. Can post more pics if that would help.
Ive owned and worked on countax/weswood machines for years and not had any problems. Have you undone the support that locks the electric clutch,slackened the jockey pulleys and started fitting at the engine drive pulley?

If the thing won't undo, I think I'd consider bending it out of the way, fitting the belt and then bending it back again.....Countax design was never a strong point!

get a piece of metal tube with i.d. slightly bigger than the bar - cut the bar low down - Araldite the socket and bar back together. (y) Leave the bar missing while you source the parts , run the mower anyway. I can't see the purpose of the bar anyway.

get a piece of metal tube with i.d. slightly bigger than the bar - cut the bar low down - Araldite the socket and bar back together. (y) Leave the bar missing while you source the parts , run the mower anyway. I can't see the purpose of the bar anyway.
Bar stops the belt throwing off when it slackens to disengage the drive

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I will take another look at it today. I have already removed the clutch locking plate and slackened the jockey pulleys etc. I don’t think this helps. If you look at the pic the bar bends in towards the clutch and is fixed (and very close to the clutch). So, unless the bar moves or the the clutch moves then I don’t see how the belt gets past it. I’ve not tried loosening the engine bolts as suggested above - is this advisable? Also, what’s the intended way of fitting the belt given this setup? I can try bending the bar but I don’t imagine this is the way Countax intended it to be done (although I guess the bar could have been bent too far the other way in the past). I found a video online for this for the C600H as well but it didn’t show this bar at all - so, doesn’t help. Worried I’m missing something obvious. I can’t be the only person with one of these mowers though! Think it’s from about 1995.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back