Hayter H1842 transmission belt replacement

I can provide the dimensions tomorrow but I basically need a bolt (or similar) that has thread at one end and smooth at the other end. I think I now understand what lostinlight was getting at. Get a carriage bolt and cut the head off then use this with nuts on either side of the mounting plate - right? It's basically a bar with thread on one end. Can you purchase such a thing or am I going to need to hacksaw a carriage bolt? Will it be a problem that I won't have a bend at the end to keep the belt on? Would getting the original piece welded back on be an option?

Sponsored Links
if a bolt can be found of the right dimensions, I think you could put a few C-form washers to prevent the belt running onto the head. Multiple washers will mean they can bear on each other and the one on the head will not wear so badly.

Idler wheels running on the shaft would be a great improvement, but probably too much work to attach them.

Ok, I think this all makes sense now. The carriage bolt would attach the other way (to how I was initially thinking) and then the smooth end would be correctly positioned. I would just need a nut either side of the mounting plate to make this work and could use washers at the other end to reduce wear etc. Thanks all, I will give this a try - just need to check I am able to drill a hole in this position on the mounting plate.

16010D4E-1A10-4C1B-875A-325D8AB27350.jpeg If you cant find an easy place to drill in line you could put a crank on the bolt so you can drill further away ,then swing it closer to the pully. some machines do have that type of arrangement to stop the belt falling off.
Theres no need to do anything with the other as the belt isnt turning once its slack enough to disengage the drive

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean ‘other end’? Will be able to take a look tomorrow so will have a better idea of options then.

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve looked at this and there is no easy way to drill a hole where the bar was attached as there is no way to access this from the other side. There is already a hole an inch or so to one side that I could probably fit a carriage bolt through but any idea how I would then get this into the required position. Is it possible to bend it into the right sort of shape? This doesn’t sound that practical as a solution in terms of actually implementing something that will work and that will stay in the right position. Any suggestions?

The sketch by LITL in post #64 is just what you need.
Are you able to fabricate such a thing? 8mm rod or bolt would be perfect.
John :)

The sketch by LITL in post #64 is just what you need.
Are you able to fabricate such a thing? 8mm rod or bolt would be perfect.
Best make the offset slightly greater than the distance the hole is from the outer edge of the pulley which allows a greater margin of error in manufacture.

How would you recommend I try and make this? I can get a suitable bolt but not sure how to bend it into that shape.

If you have a mechanics steel vice and a large hammer, mild steel will bend perfectly well cold.
Better still if you can heat it, but its not essential.

When you finally adjust the part you've made Id suggest setting it slightly less than the depth of the belt away from the pulley to allow the belt to fall away from the v groove so theres plenty of slack without dropping out, if that makes sense?

Thanks - I've not be able to look at this since last post but will hopefully get to it in the near future. Don't currently have the tools to shape a carriage bolt as required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back