Hayter H1842 transmission belt replacement

Is there a low point on the clutch that now you can you turn it, it will allow the belt to sqeeze past?
The clutch come down if the centre bolts is removed but after all this time, it may prove challenging or if luck is with you it could drop with a little effort.
Removing the engine bolts and prying it over should give room as would bending the bar but the choice is yours as to which is the easiest
Edit: I think you can forget forget the bit about the clutch low point, Im talking bo!!0cks:)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok, result - managed to bend bar out of the way and get belt past it. Have now fitted belt but it seems quite loose which doesn’t seem right. Wondering whether it’s the wrong belt as was given part number for a Countax 600H and I guess H1842 may not be exactly the same. Should it be loose? Where can I get the H1842 part number from to compare?

A loose transmission belt just isn't what you need.....do you think you have it routed correctly?
Certainly there should be some sort of tensioner, usually spring loaded. If the tensioner has a flat revolving face it bears on the outside of the belt - if it has a vee then it runs on the inner face of the belt.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi, all looks ok now although belt still seems loose. Got to work on wiring next before I try and get it up and running - as when belt went it ripped all the clutch wiring out! Have struggled to find part number of Hayter H1842 belt. Any advice on where I might find it? The belt I got was 229503400 which I believe is a Countax 600H part number.

Hi, I have finally got the engine on this mower running again and have a new tranmission belt. I have also repaired the wiring that was ripped out when the belt broke previously. However, while the engine runs the mower still won't move/drive. I am guessing this is a problem with the hydrostatic clutch which makes me wonder whether my repaired wiring was not right. Any ideas on where I should look next? When I disengage the brake and select to move forward (or reverse) there is no response and it doesn't look like the pulley or belt are moving. I'm kind of learning as I go here so not entirely sure what I should check next but I would assume that the main wheel/pulley directly under the engine should be spinning when the engine is running.

Please bear with me a moment as I recollect....(y)
With a hydrostatic transmission, this is driven continuously by an upper belt which is basically untouched - its under tension all of the time and drive is engaged by pedals.
The electric clutch is driven by the lower belt just above the deck and is used only to engage the cutter blades and has no connection to the transmission.
Can you confirm?
John :)

There is a free wheeling device lever which disengages the hydrostatic drive so the tractor can be pushed without the engine running Its usually operated from the rear above the axle,

Yes, the lever is to the right of the seat. However, this now doesn’t do anything. What should this drive (even if the main drive belt is not in place)? I assume the main wheel directly under the engine? If the clutch is not operating correctly (e.g. because the wiring is not right) then I assume this might stop that wheel from spinning?

F25B30A4-5C2C-4BCF-8B2B-32EA348ADF20.jpeg The transmission, thin upper belt from crank to hydro axle as John says should be running all the time, provided the parking brake is not engaged so check the pully on top of axle is turning.
The thick lower, blade drive belt only runs when the electric clutch switch is activated and is nothing to do with forward and reverse motion
The lever on the side may be the one that engages drive to the power sweeper grass collector . can you post pics of your controll levers
pic shows free wheeling lever on countax

Last edited:
Can’t see any pulleys running at all which seems odd as I’m sure they were previously. Have attached some pictures to see if they help. Can’t find a freewheel lever either but wonder whether there is one somewhere.

5DEE197D-05B6-4675-A2D0-C16F230AF220.jpeg 74079450-B359-4775-A4D7-753DBBF7F075.jpeg 65E2BA7A-F09E-459A-A601-966E61663C6F.jpeg A508FC52-ABEB-4FD1-BDB2-B3B702957CAC.jpeg

0B8DCA56-07B6-478D-88A1-9F665F56EE97.jpeg 32983390-0B1A-4F45-ABAF-D29C3B7CF542.jpeg
Picture 2 and 3 seem to have uploaded upside down.
Better?
As I thought, the levers on the right are deck height and pto for rear collector
are there any peddles on the right deck floor or is the lever to right of seat the hydro control? if yes to latter, that may be why there is no lever above the axle

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back