Hazardous areas - has anybody done the course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm booked in for a course (Compex) at the back end of next month for work in hazardous areas. The modules I'm taking are EX01, EX02, EX03 and EX04.

Has anybody else taken these modules?
If so, what should I be expecting?
Any recommended reading beforehand?

Sponsored Links
I did my compex about two years ago. It's certainly interesting, I don't know if mine was a typical course but only 3 out of 12 passed. Obviously the serious nature of the work is rammed home repeatedly, however chances are a lot of the content will not apply to what you need it for, what are you doing that requires it? Expect to make off a lot of armoured glands! Good luck

I've done the 3-day Compex course with my current employer. I can't quote you any unit numbers, although it involved a combination of inspection, equipment specification + selection and a little practical work. The qualification is only good within the organization that currently employs me, and moving elsewhere would either mean taking the short course again with my new employer or going on the full course.

The course provided will almost certainly have written course notes and some form of reference/guide book for you, and if you take your time and look everything up then you should be OK. Compex is, without a doubt, a pretty tough subject to get a good handle on in such a short period of time.

If you're already involved in design + specification for hazardous areas then this should stand you in very good stead, although if you only work to someone elses drawings then expect things to be a little harder. If you can get hold of suitable revision material then good preparation would be to read up on the classifications for zones 0, 1 and 2, gas groups, types of enclosure (flameproof, restricted breathing, etc), and the various degrees of protection (EExd, EExe, etc) and when and where to use them.

Oh, and be very wary of the inspection - some of the faults they expect you to find aren't immediately obvious, I can't recall anything specific but I do remember that you have to be very observant.

EX d and EX e armoured glands aren't a problem though they were a total PITA the first time :)

I get asked to change light fittings and install the odd socket in Zone 1 and 2 area's which are obviously EX certified so modules EX01 and EX02 should cover this type of work.

Another upcoming job is the installation of emergency stops, gate switches and a touch sensitive strip (safedge) in a Zone 1 area. For this I'll be installing a galvanic isolator (barrier) in the panel which resides in a safe area and running out to the equipment. I'll need modules EX03 and EX04 for this.

Objectives:

To deliver competence based training and assessment in the selection and use of electrical apparatus in potentially explosive atmospheres. To help organisations comply with the Electricity at Work regulations 1989, ATEX Directives and The Dangerous Substance in Explosive Atmosphere Regulations (DSEAR) 2002.

Specifically, the course will cover:

• Area classification and zoning
• Gas groups
• Temperature classification
• Sources of ignition
• IP Ratings and Impact Protection
• Marking and Identification
• Earthing and Bonding
• Protection methods in detail
• Wiring systems and glanding
• Permit to Work and other documentation
• Electrical Isolations
• Installation, Maintenance, Inspection & Testing

Content:

• 50% theoretical, 50% practical, teaching aids, questionnaires, national
• competency assessment

• Assessment: Four Units
• EX01 Preparation & Installation of EEx’d’ ‘e’ ‘n’ and ‘p’ Systems
• EX02 Inspection & Maintenance of EEx’d’ ‘e’ ‘n’ and ‘p’ Systems
• EX03 Preparation & Installation of EEx’ia’ and EEx’ib’ Systems
• EX04 Inspection & Maintenance of EEx’ia’ and EEx’ib’ Systems
• One Multiple Choice Question Paper

Sponsored Links
Mathew - I'm now worried! :eek:

Haha, don't be, I'm probably just a bit of a pessimist! :D

From the sounds of the work you've already been doing, I don't think you will have a major problem. Obviously you already have the practical knowledge to carry out the work, and if you're working with galvanic isolators then you'll already have knowledge of intrinsically safe circuits and systems.

Like I say, just watch out for anything tricking on the inspection side of the course, keep your wits about you, take your time and you'll be just fine. There are some fairly obvious things like missing screws from covers, loose cores not terminated appropriately, wrong class of equipment for zone, unused gland entries with incorrect bung for zone or no bung at all, missing seal washes, etc. Sadly I can't remember much about the tricky ones, but I'm sure the course instructor will give some advice as to what to watch out for.

Oh, and I was actually quite suprised to find out that they very much object to the use on sealing washers on glands where the thread depth in the enclosure is >6mm. I understand they're not a requirement in this scenario, but specifying a sealing washer so that you're covered from all angles can actually fail you that question.

I'll second Matts sentiments on the inspection part of the course, pay particular attention to the selection of equipment and its rating for the zone its installed in. If you've got experience making off ex 'd' and ex 'e' thats a good start and the practical side shouldn't pose too many problems. The web link below has some info on intrinsic systems:

http://www.extronics.com/

That sounds like an interesting install you've got lined up, I rarely work with any intrinsic stuff-seem to spend my days installing miles of tray and SWA.

Have done Ex 07 /08 course,from your knowledge i have read on this site you should be ok.

we done pyro and armoured on a test rig and wired in a stop start control circuit,
you then had to test an earth rod set up on a board, then you went to a test room where you had to safely isolate and test certain things, and point out faults.
The multi choice questions were the easy part.
We used the Ipea ipaf book which is like a sort of regs book for hazourdous areas

Well, I'm now three days into my Compex EX01, EX02, EX03 and EX04 course and it's harder than expected.

Massive amount of information to absorb in such a short time, especially when I don't normally carry out work in hazardous areas. Others on the same course work on and off shore as instrument technicians and electricians so do this day in, day out.
It makes the C&G2391 seem like a total breeze!

Did my practical yesterday on EExd, EExe and EExn equipment which went fine (I think!).
Did an example multiple choice exam (real on on Friday) and scored 94% so happy with that. Confidence has now raised a couple of notches!!

Tomorrow will be a practical installation on EExia and EEXib systems - must remember clean and dirty earths!

Friday AM will be visual, close and detailed inspections of an EExd, EExe and EExn installation and a EExia and EEXib installation. This has me worried.

Friday PM will be the 50 question multiple choice which is closed book.

Still, pass or fail, I've learned a great deal and am enjoying it thoroughly.

You should be Ok.
I actually found the multi choice easier than the 17th one, I think it was because it was written, rather than on a computer.
Is yours like that.

As for the inspection, if it is similar to EX 08, just check as some are minor things like loose glands, too much copper showing,missing or wrong type blanking plugs, missing box screws,gaskets, or incorrect rated box used,etc.
Check the earth test socket is locked off when not in use,and that the rcd test labels are in place and are right,as sometimes they need to state "one month"

Also if there is a stop start system, make sure it functions and that the stop LOCKS in and that the start dont still momentary operate, with the stop locked in.

We had to make out it was a working site so you may need to do permits,or at least make out and get him to sign them, and if needed, remember to lock off and prove dead before starting,and put the key in your pocket, we had to treat the assesor as a client and had to inform him to shut the site and cone off etc before starting,talk to the assessor and explain what your doing, as even if you slip up slightly he can tell you know what your doing and will mark you accordingly.

The test gear may not be what your used to,so make sure you null the leads if required,and if testing with the inspecter assisting, look out for creating sparks and only clip the leads on and off when he's ready, and dont use the meggar in the wrong zone or with an exposed end in a zone, also remember to cancel the permit after your work.

I phoned JTL today to see how it went - I passed all four units (EX01, EX02, EX03 and EX04).

Thanks again for all your encouragement :)

I phoned JTL today to see how it went - I passed all four units (EX01, EX02, EX03 and EX04).

Thanks again for all your encouragement :)

Excellent! I'm sure you'll find yourself referring to toolbox guidance, I know I still do, there's a lot to take in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back