HD with cat5e?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to look about for Matrix at a decent price but the only ones half decent in price can only be used with hdmi cables and not cat5e, cat 6 or cat 7.

Also i wanted to ask wether all matrix will give full def @50m or greater.

or if anyone knows any decent links for a whole matrix package let me know cause i've only found one that is not a hub system.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
How about buying a reasonably priced matrix and using HDMI - cat5e baluns? Not as polished a solution, but if price is your major concern...

Hi,

Don't forget when choosing a matrix that you'll have to factor in IR control in some of the lesser systems.

Have a look at the Octavia solutions, they include an IR return path which is routed to the device in operation.

How many inputs vs outputs were you looking to achieve?

here is a 4x4, but they do bigger models:

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDMX44CAT.htm

Regards,

Oh, forgot to mention, you might like to look at the offerings from Just Add Power:

http://www.hdmi-over-ip.co.uk/products-family-hdmi-over-ip.html

These are true HDMI-Ethernet (not just HDMI over cat5 cable in proprietary protocol) converters. The only thing you need to make it work is a switch that supports VLANs, and some easy way to update the VLAN configuration in the management page. If you're into home automation then this probably wont be too difficult, and I imagine that most commercial HA software will already have a suitable plugin available.

You might also want to look at LinuxMCE. It integrates HA, MythTV and Asterisk into one package. I haven't used it yet but it's something I will be looking at next time I move house.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm... Thanks a lot guys i'll be looking into those.
It's just the clients a bit stingy and there's not a lot of places to look for these things apart from on the internet lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back