HE30 Seal Identification

If you sold a product with technical support and restricted access without stating this limitation at point of sale you are in breach of the Sales of Goods act.

Seems you legal knowledge is as good as your gas - no such Act any longer

I know what you mean @newboy but even if he wants to play that all gas equipment is sold on the well advertised understanding that it is fitted by an RGI. If that misses them then it is still in the installation instructions specifically stating that it should be installed by an RGI.

Can't be much clearer unless you don't want to read it.

Jon

Sponsored Links
See that massive aluminium thing that you shouldn't be able to see as you shouldn't have the combustion cover off, that's gubbed.
Buy a new boiler!
It's at least 10 years old and that part is about £400

" was he gas safe registered as that's the way competency is shown in this country?"

To be fair I have handfuls of certificates saying I'm competent in specific areas of gas / lpg work, but I don't currently have a gas safe registration. Also I used to work for a national where I was gas safe registered between 8 - 5 but not outside those hours so was my competence deemed to leave me?, my certificates were still valid.
I also wonder if you are unable to give technical advice without a gas safe number is the homeowner still allowed to read fault finding in the manual?, or look at the part numbers?

I may come across as defending diy gas work, I don't defend it or care too much about it but the clueless pillocks running the gas regs and registration bodies?, thats a different story. You know bg engineers are now assessed by other slightly senior bg engineers on the job to renew their quals?. Anyone else fancy being assessed by their work colleague in a customers house? good luck with that.

Ideal ask for registration number before giving out advice.
Surely that can only be a good thing for the industry?
If I had paid my thousands to get my Reg then I wouldn't like unregistered guys taking work off me!

Sponsored Links
@ollski you need some form of gauging who is competent and one way of doing this is making everyone sit a standard exam.
Now there are probably people out there knowledgeable and able to do work, but there are a lot more out there that I wouldn't trust to change a light bulb and these numpties are working on people's boilers.
At least it's a start in the right direction.

I know plenty of unregistered bg and retired guys who would knock the socks off a lot of these newly registered kids who are barely able to open toolbox safely. If gas safe ever gave the public an indicator of safety, reliability and skill I'd back it but as it is its just a useless cash cow

I went to one of those boilers which was under a BG contract.

It as leaking in exactly the same place.

The BG fix was to put some LSX all around the joint.

Thats what I'm saying, gas safe no indicator of quality. Done bloody well to get the plate off to spread lsx on, things are usually well rotted on.

I managed to get the plate off, reconditioned it, cleaned up with a craft tool and fitted a new seal - all is good, in that area at least. It was a bit of a pita as the pipe, pump, heat exchanger etc had to come out the way, not worth the hours a GSE would charge to do it, and I had to do it twice as the pump to pipe seal snagged and didn't seal - hateful ****** boiler!

New hex required as already said.

I managed to get the plate off, reconditioned it, cleaned up with a craft tool and fitted a new seal - all is good, in that area at least. It was a bit of a pita as the pipe, pump, heat exchanger etc had to come out the way, not worth the hours a GSE would charge to do it, and I had to do it twice as the pump to pipe seal snagged and didn't seal - hateful ****** boiler!
ill give you 5 gold star and a badge :LOL:(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back