Head torch

• Thread starter Captain Nemesis
  • Start date
C

Captain Nemesis

Any recommendations for one to use when DIYing?

All the online reviews I can find consider features like is it any good for running (Ill be stationary when using it, but possibly with my head at an angle), will it light things up half a mile away (I only need to light things up an arms length away).

Too bright and at close range it will reflect back and blind me. Too narrow a beam and I can envisage it not pointing exactly where Im looking if Ive moved my eyes not my head.

Sponsored Links
I got this one:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-r4-4-led-headlamp-4-x-aa/331hg

I love it, it has 2 levels of brightness and you can move the bulb in and out to adjust beam angle. it uses 4 AA batteries which last a long time. I'm so glad I paid a bit more for one.

I bought it a few years ago for working in evening building a garden office. I found the most fantastic tool, it lights up the area you are working on, far better than using site lights which always create terrible shadows.

I now use it every evening to take my dog out for her "just before bed, wee wee walk".

I have a Petzl one, and unlike some makes the straps retain the elasticity.
Its light weight and fits around my beanie hat in winter. About £40 I think.
John :)

I've got a few. Some run on rechargeable 4xAA and have one that runs on 3xAAA.
They are good and last about 3-5 hours. Then I have one that runs on 2x18650 lithium ion batteries and that's my favourite and only cost £12. Just need to charge batteries properly and charge batteries on there own imo unless you have a good charger.
I also have one that runs on a USB power bank that's handy. They all seem to have different power modes for different brightness and don't think any are too bright. For me it's how you power them and run times thats most important.

Sponsored Links
mag09-headlamp.jpg

That screwfix one looks very like my SnapOn branded one.
Bloody bright and a very sharp circle of light with two brightness settings

Petzl's for me, but it does annoy me that they take 3 batteries, not 2 or 4 - my charger does either 2 or 4.

I can tell you what you dont want in one.
5 modes for a start!
There is no need for SOS, strobing and several levels of dimness.
Plain on/off is IMHO best.

My Snapon ones are Hexagonal, have 10 brightness settings and a godsend.

One for home and one for work.

You can remove the light and stick it to anything metal.
20201117_082144.jpg

Led Lenser H7R.2,I have one of these and it will last several days of all day long use, it has variable brightness and a switchable red light on the rear too. It is rechargable so you need not worry about batteries and it can fit over a hard hat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back