Gas-Torch recommendation(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah - I know - been asked a 1000 times before. So when I search I get 1000's of hits. Or almost none if I try to refine my search. Plus, what was OK last year might today be a POS made in China, so here we go again....

First - an important principle - my philosophy re tools is to buy the best you can afford, not the cheapest you can find, so even though it's "only" for DIY use, I'm not interested in flaky "DIY" tools made down to a price. Whatever you do, they still have to work as well as "pro" ones, even though they won't be used as often, and won't bounce around in the back of a van.

So I'm looking to buy a good gas torch.

• Self-igniting.
  • Swivel head and/or works with the torch at angles/upside down
  • Versatility - I'll probably never use it for anything other than soldering 15 & 22mm copper using propane, BUT it would be good to have the option of MAPP just in case, ditto a range of different nozzles, shields etc.

Rothenberger/Bernzomatic seem to be the common choices, often accompanied by the circling of the wagons by each camp, but are there other options? Sievert? Primus? REMS?

I've seen some people recommend GoSystem, but I've got one of these (for bonfires and crèmes brûlée), and I can't say I'm impressed with the quality...

Sponsored Links
Turbo torch

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 259
@ban-all-sheds For a day to day functional torch then the Rothy superfire 2 no need for extra nozzles, works at all angles without flaring, does up to 54mm with MAPP (not tried it higher as have a separate torch) fully serviceable and can take a beating.

If you want to have t swap nozzles to pipe sizes and add shields etc then the Vulcane. I don't like it as its plasticy and just doesn't feel well balanced but others like it. When you add in the cost of extras it gets bloody expensive though.

You could hit the rothy remote head if you want to get into tight spaces. Cracking bit of kit but I prefer the Superfire 2 for continuous soldering and the remote head for odds and sods and awkward spots. I have both and would highly recommend.

Link here for the remote head http://www.tradecounterdirect.com/p...rger-trigger-torch-with-gas-holder_34120.html

The others are easily googleable (is that a word?)

Jon

Sponsored Links
I did think about a remote one - not so much for working in tight spaces, more to get one with a lance option which I could connect to a 13kg cylinder to deal with the triffids at the bottom of my garden.

Decided that if I ever did want a garden tool I'd just buy a dedicated one.

Clarification:
Anyway, here's the one I've used for years, just over £30 in B&Q;
http://www.go-system.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/254/category/22/
Mmm.

On the basis of the one I've got, I'd never buy anything of theirs ever again.
My torch is that make but not that model. Maybe I've got a DIY toy made down to a price (I did only buy it for kitchen duties), and their bigger and better ones really are both bigger and better. I don't doubt the sincerity of your recommendation, but I do worry that "here's the one I've used for years" might be significant, and that when you bought it years ago they were good, but now they have been cheapened in search of a quick buck. Be honest - that does happen quite a lot.

NERRAD FIREJET 10 year guarantee hasn't let me down yet about £ 70 really pleaded with it ( but not a remote ) from plumbcenter

Last edited:
TBH i dont think you need extra nozzles or remote head, i have never needed them for any job, if you improve your torch skills you can do it all with a sure fire 2

TBH i dont think you need extra nozzles or remote head, i have never needed them for any job, if you improve your torch skills you can do it all with a sure fire 2
I also doubt it - I mentioned having the option of different nozzles on the grounds of "you never know". If that restricts my choice significantly, or pushes the price up considerably, then I'd probably reconsider, but if there were a choice of A vs B, and not much to choose between them, but one had a range of different nozzles available and the other didn't.....

100% agree that you don't need extra nozzles and shields but honestly try the Rothy trigger torch. Depends what you do, if you are first fixing and have all the space you want then you won't use it but behind kitchen cabinets, under floors that are an arm stretch away, working over head height for a period of time its awesome.

I thought the same as you to start with but I love gadgets so got one. Best £70 I spent. If you do try one you won't regret it. I'll even buy it off you as a spare if you don't like it!

Jon

I also doubt it - I mentioned having the option of different nozzles on the grounds of "you never know". If that restricts my choice significantly, or pushes the price up considerably, then I'd probably reconsider, but if there were a choice of A vs B, and not much to choose between them, but one had a range of different nozzles available and the other didn't.....

The only reason I mentioned different nozzles was in conjunction with the Vulcane that I mentioned. It's new out but needs different nozzles for larger pipe sizes. I don't rate it but others do. To me it seems more style over substance.

Rothy SF2 is the benchmark as far as I'm concerned.

Jon

100% agree that you don't need extra nozzles and shields but honestly try the Rothy trigger torch. Depends what you do, if you are first fixing and have all the space you want then you won't use it but behind kitchen cabinets, under floors that are an arm stretch away, working over head height for a period of time its awesome.
That's a good point - again, unlikely that I'd need a torch like that vs one that screws onto a cylinder, but I guess I'd never find a situation where I couldn't use one, whereas I might with an integrated.

Any downsides of that design, other than taking care how you put it down after use?

A Torch is for shining light a Blow Lamp is for soldering.

The Rothy etc one are far to easy to knock over & break. While this is a safety feature, it's an expensive repair.

That's a good point - again, unlikely that I'd need a torch like that vs one that screws onto a cylinder, but I guess I'd never find a situation where I couldn't use one, whereas I might with an integrated.

Any downsides of that design, other than taking care how you put it down after use?

No need to worry about putting it down as the holster that the bottle is in also has an integrated torch holder.

Jon

Is he buying this so he can move his gas meter ? ( Last week's mass debate)
Just to make clear, before any Mod gets agitated, this is NOT about DIY gas work, and I am not one of those people who says "I am going to use a tradesman, but I just want to understand what's involved so I don't get taken for a ride" when what they mean is "I am going to do this myself but I know I'd better not say that".
It surely cannot come as a surprise to you Dave that copper pipes with soldered fittings are not only used for gas - they are also used for water.

So given that, and my clear and unambiguous statement about not planning to do work on gas pipes, I do struggle to see what intelligent or rational reason you could have for wondering if I might want a soldering tool to work on gas pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back