Gas-Torch recommendation(s)

Hi B A S

For what it is worth I have the Rothenburg SuperFire 2. , As do the few plumbers and heating technicians I know as friends.

It even does creme broule :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I've been using this bad boy for over 30 years now.. It's never been serviced apart from new gas canisters, which only cost £1 I might add :mrgreen:. And is still soldering pipes to this very day..

Have to watch the flare ups though:whistle:...

20160407_151058.jpg

Edit:

Just serviced it :)

I wiped shyte of the nozzel:LOL:

Do I need a RGI to do this? (n)

Last edited:
Rothenburger sure fire2.had 2 in 16 yrs.used most days.rattles around in my tool box most days.dropped frequently.never had a problem with it.will work all day upside down if that is your thing.the blow torch not me.

Can you use those inductive (?) heating devices that mechanics use for soldering copper pipes?

Sponsored Links
Can you use those inductive (?) heating devices that mechanics use for soldering copper pipes?

IHNI - never seen one.

I do have one of those Antex soldering "pliers" somewhere - never used it - I figure there's probably a reason why plumbers don't...

dam jedi your showing your age now . wonder what its like when using it upside down ????, if your in the plumbing trade i think you should invest a better one . just a suggestion

Anyway - back to the plot.

You could hit the rothy remote head if you want to get into tight spaces.
but honestly try the Rothy trigger torch.
That one, or that type of torch, seems like a BGI - if I'm not doing a lot of clambering around, and thus not being inconvenienced by a separate bottle, hose and torch, I can't see why I'd ever wish I had one that screws onto a bottle instead.

Am I missing something?

Also, can you get (or why can't you get?) hoses to allow any torch to be decoupled from the bottle?

I was rather hoping that if I got SGN, or a contractor, RGI etc to move the meter for me that they wouldn't take out my house, let alone the entire street.

I think that should read

If I was thinking of having my gas meter moved then I would hope that if I got SGN, or a contractor, RGI etc to move the meter for me that they wouldn't take out my house, let alone the entire street.

From where ( or from whom ) came the idea that BAS moving his gas meter. ?

Ignoring the squabble; Rothy Superfire 2.

There's a deal at Plumbcenter at the moment, torch, mapp and propane cylinders and a fancy bag.

Actually in practised hands any torch will do the job and people become loyal to the model that they've adapted to and which has served them well over time. But....hard to go wrong with the Rothy.

There's only one of you that knows the true best lamp.
It's the Turbo torch.
No more squabbling and be told.
Now let's say a little prayer........

I've always used a Super Fire 2, usually with Mapp, and never found a reason to try anything different. Also excellent for lighting BBQs.

i think ban allsheds will never be satisfied with anyones recommendations i bet he'll go shop and buy something totally something different , just a feeling .
I think you'll find that it is not I who has had any involvement with the 'Rothenberger Superfire no Rothenberger trigger torch no Nerrad Firejet no Victor Turbotorch no GoSystem Quickpro...' "debate", other than saying that my experience of a GoSystem product makes me reluctant to buy another. So if I go with one of those recommendations then clearly there will be 4 others which I didn't go with. If you want to depict that as me being dissatisfied with 4 out of 5 recommendations, knock yourself out.

Rothenberger/Bernzomatic seem to be the common choices, often accompanied by the circling of the wagons by each camp

For example:

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-tools/5554-rothenburger-superfire-3-a.html#post30706

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-tools/5554-rothenburger-superfire-3-a.html#post131691

Bear in mind that this is isn't the only forum in existence, and I have been looking at others. If what I've read (possibly here, possibly elsewhere) that Rothenberger is actually a badge-engineering exercise then "to answer the question about the super fire 3 its the same torch as the seivert 90" is interesting, as Sievert is a make I'm looking at and that's hardly ever mentioned in this forum. Nor are Bullfinch or Monument. In fact searching for 'monument torch' finds nothing.

And the one which you recommended, the Nerrad, has no other mentions anywhere on the entire site, so if I were to make a decision based on popularity, your recommendation would fall by the wayside. If you want to depict that as me being dissatisfied with your recommendation there's nothing I can do.

I have no reason to think that this is not true:

Actually in practised hands any torch will do the job and people become loyal to the model that they've adapted to and which has served them well over time. But....hard to go wrong with the Rothy.

Maybe Rothies get lots of votes because lots of people have them because they are very widely stocked because the profit margins for the merchants makes them prefer them. Maybe it's equally hard to go wrong with any reputable make. Maybe all the recommendations here are equally good.

You ought not to think that because I'm trying to do some reasonable research before parting with my hard-earned rather than doing effectively the same as saying to someone "Here's my credit card, please go out and buy me a torch" that I'm dissatisfied with the recommendations so far.

This will be the only torch I ever buy - if it turns out to be pants for any reason, I can't shrug it off and buy another one as a business expense.

I meant to do this days ago.

A clarification:

• Versatility - I'll probably never use it for anything other than soldering 15 & 22mm copper using propane, BUT it would be good to have the option of MAPP just in case, ditto a range of different nozzles, shields etc.
When I talk about versatility, I don't mean different nozzles to cope with larger pipes, I mean having options for brazing, for paint stripping, for heat shrinking....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back