Headless wood screws

Some flying shelves are fitted to walls using a pin with a screw threaded end that goes into the wall. The other end is smooth except for either a hexagonal area or screwdriver slot to drive the screwed end into the wall.

Click Here for an example

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like a hanger bolt to me?

http://catalog.hangerbolt.com/category/stainless-steel-hanger-bolts

DOn't know of any alternatives, but least know the name :/
That would appear to be the name of something I don't want...

Basically looking for something like this dual thread jobby:

but with a smooth shank instead of the machine screw end....

upload_2018-10-13_10-33-54.png

Anyway, responding to other posts in no particular order.

Don't want to have to grind a flat.

Don't want to have to cut the head off.

Don't want to have to cut a slot for a screwdriver.

Don't want to chew them up with an adjustable spanner/pipe grip.

Basically I want to just buy fasteners which are already made to be what I want.

Just to be sure, in case you haven't built cheap flat pack furniture, you have seen these before, right?

11481-l.jpg
The thread would be too short. The photo in my OP has a longer one.

Some flying shelves are fitted to walls using a pin with a screw threaded end that goes into the wall. The other end is smooth except for either a hexagonal area or screwdriver slot to drive the screwed end into the wall.

Click Here for an example
The prong would be too long. The photo in my OP has a shorter one.

But thank you all, because via all these suggestions I've now learnt that I can't just buy what I want because they don't exist.

Ho hum.

Sponsored Links
That would appear to be the name of something I don't want...

View attachment 150162

With no head, how will the screw pull the two bits of timber together?

And why can't you just file the machine thread away if the wood thread is long enough?

Sorry, I probably haven't been helpful. Can you explain what you are trying to do?

With no head, how will the screw pull the two bits of timber together?
There aren't two bits of timber to pull together.

And why can't you just file the machine thread away if the wood thread is long enough?
As above - that give me problems with using a tool to turn the screw to get it in or out.

And I want(ed) to just buy something already made to be what I want, and not to have to carry out further machining operations on it.

Sorry, I probably haven't been helpful. Can you explain what you are trying to do?
If you told us what you want to do, it would help a lot
Yes, and sorry - when I first wrote the question that seemed an irrelevance, as I knew what the fixing would look like if it existed

upload_2018-10-13_12-57-50.png

so I had it in mind that all I had to do was to ask if it did and if it had a name I could use to track some down.

I guess it is, or would be, a type of shelf support pin - the application is for them to be screwed into the side walls of a small alcove (hence the desire for one threaded end and a way to turn it, and why one of these wouldn't do - the thread is too short
upload_2018-10-13_13-4-15.png
) and to support shelves resting on them with small grooves cut into the underside for the unthreaded end to go into, which is why Bernard's suggested
upload_2018-10-13_13-7-39.png
would be too long.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-13_12-57-22.png
    upload_2018-10-13_12-57-22.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 96
the application is for them to be screwed into the side walls of a small alcove (hence the desire for one threaded end and a way to turn it

Just cut the head of a screw and turn it in with vice grips. Job done.
Or screw it in first then cut the head off.

locking-wrenches-359.jpg

Have a pair in my work shop. Would have had these screws installed by now and no mangling.
You need to get your self up to speed on hand tools and whats out there.
I find it very amusing that you know electric but a simple task like this leaves you struggling.:D

Last edited:
There aren't two bits of timber to pull together.

As above - that give me problems with using a tool to turn the screw to get it in or out.

And I want(ed) to just buy something already made to be what I want, and not to have to carry out further machining operations on it.

Yes, and sorry - when I first wrote the question that seemed an irrelevance, as I knew what the fixing would look like if it existed

View attachment 150172

so I had it in mind that all I had to do was to ask if it did and if it had a name I could use to track some down.

I guess it is, or would be, a type of shelf support pin - the application is for them to be screwed into the side walls of a small alcove (hence the desire for one threaded end and a way to turn it, and why one of these wouldn't do - the thread is too short View attachment 150173) and to support shelves resting on them with small grooves cut into the underside for the unthreaded end to go into, which is why Bernard's suggested View attachment 150174 would be too long.
Too support a shelf you can simply use screw , the heads don’t need removing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back