Headless wood screws

The job is to support some 30mm thick shelves approx 530mm wide and 330mm deep - I think that Rawlbolts would be just a tad over-engineered.

Sponsored Links
The job is to support some 30mm thick shelves approx 530mm wide and 330mm deep - I think that Rawlbolts would be just a tad over-engineered.

Well it's not just 30x530x330 shelves is it. It's whatever is put on them and pay consideration to the leverage given further away from the wall. I've seen it many times, floating shelves have pulled off the wall as soon as anything considerable landed on them because nothing was done to support the furthest end.

Everyone I know who does this kind of bespoke joinery and install full time professionally use Rawlbolts and threaded rod. I also know a couple of chaps who have used threaded rod and epoxy fix.

My idea would be to have a section of 5x20 mild steel strip folded at a metal workers/press workers and fix them to the wall with your standard plugs and screws, make sure there's a rebate at each end that can later be filled or veneered.

If I were doing my own it would be either of those options, not my shelves and I'm not installing them so it's up to OP how over or under engineered they want it.

Well, all I can do it to observe that these same shelves in widths over double the new proposed widths have not fallen down or failed in any way no matter what has been put on them at any time in the last 30+ years.

They are currently working just fine at widths of over 1100m with 4 x #8/#10, 4/5mm woodscrews, 2 each side, holding them up.

i am confused here
half the thread seems to talk about floating shelves as in a shelve with only support along one edge
the the last post 2 screws each end as in a normal shelve :confused:

Sponsored Links
Again - apologies to all for probably the wrong term - when I said "floating" I meant "with no obvious means of support",

IMG_4671.JPG

not this sort of thing

upload_2018-10-28_12-46-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-28_12-40-4.png
    upload_2018-10-28_12-40-4.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 97
Yup, supported on somethings screwed into the wall, with short amounts protruding, shelves grooved like this:

upload_2018-10-29_11-29-52.png

so the supports are "flush".

I'm not after the method of support being totally invisible, just unobtrusive, but because they do show a little I wanted something a little less of a hack than a woodscrew with the head filed flat on one side.

What I wanted was something like this:

upload_2018-10-29_11-33-59.png

with a smooth shank instead of the machine screw end.

But I think that something like that with these over the machine screw

upload_2018-10-29_11-38-42.png

will work just fine.

Why not just have a rail fixed on the back wall and cheeks then route in a rebate around sides then?

Now knowing what you wanted I'd have had it done in the time spent searching for the right screw.

Completely secret fixing

0x35.jpg

Shelf can only be removed if the rod can be pulled back into the shelf by a string magnet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back