Heat output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help me work something out?

At the moment I have an open fire and I want to try and work out roughly the kw output from this fire. I know it won't be exact because no doubt it will depend on many things but if someone can just give me some idea.

I made a fire last night and within an hour the temperature in the room had increased by 6 degrees C. There was no other heat source. The size of the room is 16'x17'x9'.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
It might be easier to tell us what end result your are trying to achieve.

What kind of gas meter do you have ? is it one with a dial or does it have numbers ?

Sponsored Links
If its solid then the only way to estimate the heta output is to have it off and run a 2 kW electric fire and record the temperature increase after about an hour.

Then use this figure to extrapolate to obtain the heat output from the solid fuel fire.

Tony

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

I have a 16 inch open fire with a back boiler on which I burn Blue Flame smokeless fuel. I don't have central heating only this fire, 2 x 2kw oil filled radiators - one upstairs, one downstairs (I live in a one up, one down).

The suggestion has been made that I have a multi-fuel stove which would heat the water and run a radiator in the bedroom and a small one in the bathroom. After researching into this, the output to room with this type of central heating stove seems so low, I'm not convinced that I will be warm enough with just this stove downstairs.

I've been told that an average heat output for a 16inch open fire is 2.5kw but I think mine is warmer (which is why I asked the question).

kevplumb";p="1713770 said:
its more dependant on the output of the back boiler :idea:

No, its not - what about the space heating? And the boiler is rated as amax. figure, and output depends on volume ang type of fuel

The back boiler in the open fire is approx 10,000btu.

The multi fuel stove I've been asked to consider is 8kw but the majority of that power is used to heat the water and radiators. The nominal output to room when burning solid fuel is 1.7kw with a max of 2.5kw. Although my house is only very small, the room with the fire/stove has 4 external walls and 2 3'x4' single glazed draughty windows and my concern is that I will be making the wrong decision in having my open fire removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back