Heat pumps........yeah right !

Sponsored Links
I know this thread is about heat pumps, but it blends in with climate change things..

See this article in the guardian, they seem to be mellowing out recently and becoming less far left and more centre left which is nice, there's still a few articles I scoff at but I digress..

This article I completely and whole heartedly agree with

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-to-the-environmental-crisis-we-can-solve-it

Sponsored Links
If you ask anyone what's the best beef you can buy in the UK most people will say 'wagyu', any idea where we buy most of that from that from?, I'll give you a clue, it aint Japan.

Italy produces supercars like Ferraris and Lamboghini. They also produced Lancia Betas.

I think we can guess which end of the market the beef is from that The Aussies have sold to Johnson.

Anyway this may all be academic unless Johnson gives a lot more ground to the Aussies.

Last edited:
And seemingly rational people on here still take him seriously. :rolleyes:
I hope you don't include yourself in that category because you obviously have an irrational bigoted view of refugees.
Some may be asylum seekers when they are grateful for sanctuary in a European country. The ones who pass through several EU countries cherry-picking the country they like the look of most are economic migrants (the vast majority). Genuine asylum seekers do not have the funds to shop around and pay large sums to traffikers. Genuine asylum seekers/refugees consist of males and females, old and young. It's very telling when they are predominently young, healthy males, often in smart clothing and carrying smart phones.

If you ask anyone what's the best beef you can buy in the UK most people will say 'wagyu', any idea where we buy most of that from that from?, I'll give you a clue, it aint Japan.
all very interesting

nothing to do with hormones in beef of course

I know this thread is about heat pumps, but it blends in with climate change things..

See this article in the guardian, they seem to be mellowing out recently and becoming less far left and more centre left which is nice, there's still a few articles I scoff at but I digress..

This article I completely and whole heartedly agree with

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-to-the-environmental-crisis-we-can-solve-it
the Guardian is mostly factual based, but with a left wing bias, so should be read with that in mind

I've always said that this is the absurd paradox of our times. We live in a consumer culture, we're encouraged to consume - we are consumers. But then we're told to consume less. When this happens, it's panic stations because of the negative effect on growth and the economy.

I just ignore most of it. All a loads of balls!
One way to reduce consumerism would be to reduce the amount of advertising that people are subjected to. This would also enhance our quality of life.

Last edited:
I've always said that this is the absurd paradox of our times. We live in a consumer culture, we're encouraged to consume - we are consumers. But then we're told to consume less. When this happens, it's panic stations because of the negative effect on growth and the economy.

I just ignore most of it. All a loads of balls!
Agree with this. Hence why more and more economic experts assert the capitalist/consumerist model isn't working. Me and my old mum often joke it's a good job the masses aren't like us. We buy stuff infrequently. I have jackets and trainers etc that are years old and I still think of them as being new!

The entire model needs revised. Including aspects like products that are either designed to fail after a few years and/or cheaper to replace than repair.

As you say, consume consume consume, growth growth growth. At what point does it become unsustainable?

Now perhaps.

Agree with this. Hence why more and more economic experts assert the capitalist/consumerist model isn't working. Me and my old mum often joke it's a good job the masses aren't like us. We buy stuff infrequently. I have jackets and trainers etc that are years old and I still think of them as being new!

Agree. I look after my things and they last me years. My van is 17 years old, and although it's not wrapped in cotton wool, it looks a lot younger, has never broken down and never failed an MOT. It's just about valuing things, being sensible but not going over the top. I bought my Nokia phone in 2007 - second hand. :) couple of new batteries along the way and still works like new. £7 p.m. unlimited calls and texts on EE. Few years ago I realised I was regularly buying new clothes and they were starting to fill the wardrobe. So I stopped buying new clothes and I'm working through the clothes that I have. I have enough t shirts, shirts and jackets to see me out. Wearing my 1990 ZZ Top tour t shirt now. It was crazy just piling up more new clothes when I hadn't worn the ones I bought in previous years.

Agree. I look after my things and they last me years. My van is 17 years old, and although it's not wrapped in cotton wool, it looks a lot younger, has never broken down and never failed an MOT. It's just about valuing things, being sensible but not going over the top. I bought my Nokia phone in 2007 - second hand. :) couple of new batteries along the way and still works like new. £7 p.m. unlimited calls and texts on EE. Few years ago I realised I was regularly buying new clothes and they were starting to fill the wardrobe. So I stopped buying new clothes and I'm working through the clothes that I have. I have enough t shirts, shirts and jackets to see me out. Wearing my 1990 ZZ Top tour t shirt now. It was crazy just piling up more new clothes when I hadn't worn the ones I bought in previous years.
I used to work in an office, mainly with women, and they would discuss clothes shopping. It wasn't uncommon to hear things like 'I have 3 pairs of jeans hanging up that I've never worn' sometimes said almost with pride. Or they'd had a wardrobe clear-out and discovered umpteen different items of clothing they'd never worn, still with tags on etc. Each to their own I suppose but I could never get my head around that sort of buying.

And yes, men can be just as bad before anyone jumps down my throat ;)

I used to work in an office, mainly with women, and they would discuss clothes shopping. It wasn't uncommon to hear things like 'I have 3 pairs of jeans hanging up that I've never worn' sometimes said almost with pride. Or they'd had a wardrobe clear-out and discovered umpteen different items of clothing they'd never worn, still with tags on etc. Each to their own I suppose but I could never get my head around that sort of buying.

And yes, men can be just as bad before anyone jumps down my throat ;)

Baby and young child clothing is like this.

I complain of this to my wife and 90% of the clothes she picks up for my by I say no to.. a lot of it is just that we don't really go where he would benefit from a particular outfit, an example he has a button shirt with cowboys and stuff on had it almost a year and never worn it, now it's almost to small for him, the reason being it's too nice to wear and get ruined in the every day stuff and we don't really go or do anything he would have an opportunity to wear it, so it sits there.

I get told I'm a grumpy sod but I think careful and thoughtful are more apt.

I get new clothes for birthday and Christmas I never ask for much else, its usually to replace clothes that have worn out.

Sponsored Links
Back