Heat pumps

Sponsored Links
They work perfectly well when correctly specified & installed. A kw of heat is a kw of heat no matter how it's generated. 10kW from a heat pump is exactly the same as 10kW from a gas boiler. Places like Scandinavia, Canada, and the USA get much colder than here and have been using heat pumps for 30-40 years.
Stats for Norway, they are nearly all air con units, not the air to water the Goverment want everyone to have.
In the period 1987 – 2020, almost 1.4 million heat pumps were sold in Norway.

• Air-to-air approx. 1.25 million
  • Air-to-water over 50,000
  • Brine-to-water over 55,000
  • Ventilation heat pumps over 20,000
According to him, if the 2021 heat pump sales data are included, the total number of heat pumps sold in Norway since 1987 rises to over 1.5 million, with more than 1.1 million heat pumps in use, equating to more than 10 TWh of ambient heat.

2021 compared to 2020

• Air-to-air +38%
  • Air-to-water +2.5%
  • Brine-to-water +8%
  • Exhaust air 29.9%

They work great. When our trades get ahold of them... not so much.

Sponsored Links
Everywhere else on the planet it's not new technology and you can pick one up at the super market.

It's only us lot with our bizzare 80C flow temperatures and wet systems that still can't wrap our heads around why having the heating on for 2 hours a day isn't very good.

Can't wait for them to release UK models that ship with a buffer tank that hampers performance just because we know best!!

Everywhere else on the planet it's not new technology and you can pick one up at the super market.

It's only us lot with our bizzare 80C flow temperatures and wet systems that still can't wrap our heads around why having the heating on for 2 hours a day isn't very good.

Can't wait for them to release UK models that ship with a buffer tank that hampers performance just because we know best!!
You think they will take over from gas boilers? I know some older plumbers that made a lot of money converting all vented systems to seal combi system. I'm guessing in late 90s early 00s. I'm wondering if this is the younger generations chance for lots of good money work.

You think they will take over from gas boilers? I know some older plumbers that made a lot of money converting all vented systems to seal combi system. I'm guessing in late 90s early 00s. I'm wondering if this is the younger generations chance for lots of good money work.

Yes, simply because even though we are most excellent at burning gas on-site very efficiently - a heat pump literally can provide more useful energy for space heating than the source gas itself contains.

400% efficient or something I read? Compared to a combi at say 90% if it's in condensing mode. I.e a return temp of less then 54c

But the source isn't gas, it's electric!

We know how that goes. For now most generation in the UK is gas. We're already late on nuclear fleet and wind is not equivalent energy.

If we didn't have heat pumps they would need to be invented in some massive Manhattan project style effort.

When gas gets more expensive compared to electricity people will start to install them. Currently gas is 3 times cheaper than electric.

Coefficient of performance.

SCOP seasonal coefficient of performance.

COP of 3.5 would equal 3.5kW heat energy generated for 1kW electrical energy input.

The colder the day the less ambient heat in the air to be harvested the COP reduces.

is they cant supply enough heat in the winter & you need a top up heat supply
This isn't true; my ASHP has no problems heating my house for the two months of the year I need it to. However, the house was designed and built with the foresight that it would have an ASHP heat source

An ASHP would typically have a heat output around a third of a gas boiler; a lot of problems and horror stories come from poor installs where an ASHP was in no way suitable for the property it was installed in, and two months later it's ripped out and on eBay rather than make the property suitable for an ASHP. One simply cannot come along to a draughty, poorly insulated Victorian semi with a 30kW gas boiler blasting away for 6 months of the year and swap it out for a 9kW heat pump in a day, and expect good results

What we really need to be doing is designing and building houses that don't even have heating systems, because they don't need them. It is possible, and is done

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back