heat resistant cloth cable, where can I get it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody help me out here. My daughter is trying to open a small restaurant and has inherited some equipment from the previous owners. She has one of these hot counters with heat lamps and the lamps were not working, so she asked me to look as I used to be building services/qualified electrician.

I took it apart and one or two of the cables need replacing. They are a sort of cloth/fibre covered heat resistant cable. I have come across them before, but it was a long time ago that I did any work on kitchen equipment so I cannot remember where we would get this sort of cable from. I have looked in the catalogues of a couple of wholesaler I use sometimes and they don't appear to have it. They have some flex which goes up to about 85 deg but really I want singles and I suspect the stuff I want would stand much higher temperatures.

Can you still get the stuff I want or has it been superseded by something and where can I get it from?

Another thing, because it is in a hot inviroment it has ceramic connectors and they dunt seem to be so easily available, especially in larger sizes, ie 32A. Is there a place that I should be able to get all this stuff?

Ideally I wanted to just pop to a shop and pick some up, but it does not look like I can so easily as I cant seem to find it looking on the net.

It all so has some spade connectors with covers, are they special rated for heat, as I think ordinary covered ones would have the covers melting?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
You can pay by credit card, or use a local wholesaler to get it on their account, usually a handling charge

Sponsored Links
Follow the link provided by ch427 to RS components

180 degrees C, silicone insulated singles 10A rated, part no: 265-3022

250 degrees C, PTFE / glass braid singles 10A rated, part no: 359-560

300 degrees C, 2 way ceramic 10A ceramic connector, part no: 464-9851

Its likely to be glass fibre insulated cable you are talking about I believe, silicon rubber is often used as well

If its old equipment then make sure the overheat protection is present, etc, I believe quite often a thermal manually rest thermal cutout is used, backed up by a non-resetable thermal fuse at a few degrees higher

Spade connectors, I think the norm would be bare ones fitted with suitable boots as required

You should get all your appliances PAT tested & repaired where appropriate by a competent person.

RF Lighting said:
Follow the link provided by ch427 to RS components

180 degrees C, silicone insulated singles 10A rated, part no: 265-3022

250 degrees C, PTFE / glass braid singles 10A rated, part no: 359-560

300 degrees C, 2 way ceramic 10A ceramic connector, part no: 464-9851

Thanks to everyone on here for your help, its great when you can come on here and get a definite answer, but this one from RF Lighting has hit it on the nose. The 359-560 one seems to be the one and the ceramic blocks look right too, but I cannot believe the price of the cable. I do know from previous experience that RS is about one of the most expensive places and don't suppose I will easily find anywhere cheaper that can supply it. Why is it so hard to find, it seems to be in used in all industrial kitchen equipment?

I cant say I have seen any over heat protection as mentioned by Adam_151, but I will have a second check. Why do you say if its old, wont new equipment require it too? And what would it protect exactly, if they are heat lamps? It seems in the past the lamps just blow (they are 300w, 150mm halogens). I think when I have seen other heat counters like this they had no heat protection either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back