heating a patio underfoot with the house boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just been watching tommy walsh on quest
are people really so stupid as to heat there patio from the house gas boiler :eek: :eek:
if its a tad cold you wear footware outside to stop heat loss not warm the cold ground where 90% off heat will be lost

is fashion and fads so powerful that common sense is not even in the equation :eek:

Sponsored Links
They'll do anything if it gets them on telly.
And I mean ANYTHING!
Just look at Jeremy Kyle FFS!

They'll do anything if it gets them on telly.
And I mean ANYTHING!
Just look at Jeremy Kyle FFS!

i dont watch telly if its playing on peoples weaknesses
we are all different so gloating on peoples apparent "simplicity" doesnt appeal to me :eek: :D

I used to keep koi at our previous house, and used to heat the outdoor pond. It seems a bit strange looking back :eek:
If the patio's heated off the house CH. The cost may be reasonable if the heatings on anyway?

Sponsored Links
All the heat will disappear at the slightest breeze what is the point?

I always wear shoes outside anyway.

Its another silly sidetrack to avoid people using patio heaters that apparently are causing golbal warming so the only socially acceptable cure is to line the pockets of the profiteering gas companies.. I don't think so.

You are forgetting some people just don't care about their leccy bill or any of the globalwarmthinkery.

Take those 2 factors out, and is there any reason not to do it?

I thought building regs required heating pipes that run outside to be properly insulated. If insulated how do they heat the patio?

just been watching tommy walsh on quest
are people really so stupid as to heat there patio from the house gas boiler :eek: :eek:
if its a tad cold you wear footware outside to stop heat loss not warm the cold ground where 90% off heat will be lost

is fashion and fads so powerful that common sense is not even in the equation :eek:

I saw this episode the other day, and my mouth must have dropped as I watched it. Unbelievable. Was thinking of posting a question in the plumbing department to see if anyone had ever seen UFH set into a patio.

The heat-loss must be terrific, and the warming effect minimal. In all my years bending pipes, never seen nowt like it.

They have heated pavements in some places round the world. Saw them in Tromso when there last winter, but they have friggen loads of money in Norway so cost probably not an issue.

They have heated pavements in some places round the world. Saw them in Tromso when there last winter, but they have friggen loads of money in Norway so cost probably not an issue.

How do they square that with the polar bear huggers?

And frigging governments screwing us on fuel to get to work, and gas to stop us getting hypothermia. :rolleyes:

Norwegians have never struck me as particularly environmentally bothered.

They do have guilt via their Government about having so much cash from fossil fuels and I think they buy inner peace by sending some of their money to charitable causes.

But that's as far as it goes, they really don't give a toss individually from what I can tell.

Funny bunch, loadsamoney, but quite funny. They like digging tunnels too, they have roundabouts in tunnels. And underfloor heating outside in their high streets. Very strange bunch.

not quite the same

for a patio to feel warm it needs to be around body temperature otherwise its cold to the touch

to defrost the pavement [a safety issue] around 5 degrees will do its probably the return pipes to the area heating system "leaking" just enough

Takes a lot of energy to turn ice at 0C to water at 0C. Do the calculations for your 5 degree rise including the phase change of water (latent heat of fusion) and you will be surprised. Which system requires more heat input depends on all sorts of things, in principle they are identical.

Sponsored Links
Back