Heating and Water control panel - No power

Although I would not like to stand in front of a judge and argue this: assuming the LABC swallow it.

Imagine rewiring a house in schuko's with 16A breakers and boards that don't comply with 7671 and sockets within 3m of the bath....

Surely, it is getting to look that way.
The regs is a living breathing document which is (and will be) an ever-changing script.

Throughout the history of the regulations, the authorities have researched and tested theories, leading to the introduction of new regulations. I see your scenario about bonding in the 15th akin to a manufacturer designing and developing a new car then testing it for millions of miles to ensure it is reliable. Nothing major is found, or if it is, the problem is rectified or designed out. But when the general public start buying 100's of thousands of them and doing multiples of millions of miles, issues rear up.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I see you are reverting to insults again - bigot! Ha, ha!
No insult.

Just that in the same spirit in which you said that other countries can hope to match our excellent safety standards I can point out that that attitude can easily be shown to be nothing more than bigotry - the automatic assumption that we are better.

Pompous drivel!
You could try and say that about anything. Who is to say they weren't done and justification proved? Just because you feel the instructions or regulations are not necessary, does not mean that.
It is neither affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important nor nonsense.

I did not say that these things were not done, I pointed out that IF they were not then what else do we have but regulations based on ignorance? I pointed out that if they were done but they did not show a justification for the regulations then what else do we have but regulations not based on sound engineering practice?

You have a very odd way of looking at things, assuming that people write unneccessary regulations or instructions.
Are you a conspiracy theorist?
Where have I assumed that?

How does saying that IF they were not written by people who were ignorant then there must either be reasons why they are needed or they must be written by people who know they are not needed but write them anyway, an assumption that they are unnecessary?

Then if they are not [written by people who are ignorant] there must either be sound reasons for having them (which brings us back to having to consider why those sound reasons do not exist in other countries), or they were written by people who knew that they were unnecessary.
What other options would you like to have seen listed?

We're starting with the premise that the regulations were not written by people who are ignorant, i.e. they were written by people who did know about the subject matter.

As I see it, if they have that knowledge then either they know that the regulations are required, or they know that they are not. Please suggest any options you feel I have missed.

Just emulating one of your responses to posts written by people who think they can do work that does not comply with regulations which goes along the lines of "If you were in front of a judge explaining why your work did not comply, would he be sympathetic?"
Fair enough.

Very vague. Name names, please. Because I don't think you can back up what you say.
Which indicator(s) would you like to consider?

World Happiness Index?
Spending on education and outcomes?
Spending on health and outcomes?
Child poverty?
Income equality?
Spending on social care for the elderly?
Care for the environment?

I only mentioned one
Sorry - I thought you meant countries, not theories.

I don't have experience of Western nations with far more civilised attitudes to us on societal well-being. In fact most are as civilised and some less so, a few far less so.
Same with standards of electrical and gas safety.
OK - so if most have the same attitude to electrical and gas safety as us, why don't most of them require 3A fuse protection for any electrical circuit associated with a gas appliance, if that protection is necessary?

Which indicator(s) would you like to consider?
I thought I'd ask you, as you mentioned it.

OK - so if most have the same attitude to electrical and gas safety as us, why don't most of them require 3A fuse protection for any electrical circuit associated with a gas appliance, if that protection is necessary?
My turn to apologise.

When I wrote:

"I don't have experience of Western nations with far more civilised attitudes to us on societal well-being. In fact most are as civilised and some less so, a few far less so.
Same with standards of electrical and gas safety."

I meant, some standards of electrical and gas safety are equal to ours, some less so and a few far less so.

Sponsored Links
I thought I'd ask you, as you mentioned it.
You will find that other European countries spend more on health care and education and care for the elderly than us, and have better outcomes. You will find higher life expectancies, longer healthy life years, lower child poverty, cleaner environments, better roads, more affordable housing and so on. When you look at factors such as social support, healthy life expectancy, social freedom and so on you find that people are happier in 12 other European countries than they are here.

Yes, there are swings and roundabouts - for individual factors we aren't always 13th, it isn't always the same people above us. But we never top any table. It is a myth to say that we do things better - there is not one thing where this is the case.

My turn to apologise.

When I wrote:

"I don't have experience of Western nations with far more civilised attitudes to us on societal well-being. In fact most are as civilised and some less so, a few far less so.
Same with standards of electrical and gas safety."

I meant, some standards of electrical and gas safety are equal to ours, some less so and a few far less so.
Yes - I know.

Which is why I wrote "so if most have the same attitude to electrical and gas safety as us, why don't most of them require 3A fuse protection for any electrical circuit associated with a gas appliance, if that protection is necessary?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back