Heating and Water control panel - No power

Yea I just checked and there's water dripping very slowly from within the boiler. After about an hour there was a small 1-2inch puddle on the work top below the boiler.

This happened a few years ago so hopefully it can be repaired.

I'm a bit concerned as the last boiler man to come had concerns over its condition and thought it would fail a carbon monoxide test - it didn't but still he was not happy with its state.

Sponsored Links
PICTURE 2: There's also this switch which I have no idea what it's for. I've lived here 5 years and it seemingly doesn't do anything.
Shame you don't have an immersion heater - if you did it would greatly reduce the urgency of any boiler replacement, as it'll be months before you need heating.

Incorrect and unsafe information deleted. Boilers require manufacturers instructions to be followed. These may call for a 3A or a 5A fuse.
..deleted by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
..deleted.

Dear reader. Please ignore Winston's advice above. In his planet there do not seem to be such a thing as MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS.

In the World that rest of us live in, the maker of just about every boiler and central heating programmer made for use in the UK mandate that the supply to the heating systems must be protected by an
External 3A fuse to BS1362
That text copied from a Worcester Boiler installation manual

The things in the system may, or may not, have their own internal fuse but that is not the concern of us. If they say 3amp fuse, then that is what we MUST use.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boiler is 35 years old. I have never had any problems with fuses going.

winston: we have settled this one before.

The gas regulations demand a maximum fuse size of 3A for any electrical circuit associated with a gas appliance.

Why do you keep posting misleading and inaccurate advice?

Some here may draw the conclusion that you like the attention, even when it is negative.

Last edited:
I wonder what a gas safety inspector (or judge, come to that) would think of an installer who ignored both the manufacturer's instructions and the gas safety regs when installing a product?

We are not subject to electrical regs that may be applicable elsewhere in Europe and they are not bound by Gas Safe regs like we are.

I have come across many CH systems in my time wired in 0.5mm² flexible cable. What is the maximum size fuse you can use in that scenario?

In the World that rest of us live in, the maker of just about every boiler and central heating programmer made for use in the UK mandate that the supply to the heating systems must be protected by an
External 3A fuse to BS1362
How do the manufacturers manage to sell the same products in other countries where there is no way to provide such protection?

I wonder what a gas safety inspector (or judge, come to that) would think of an installer who ignored both the manufacturer's instructions and the gas safety regs when installing a product?
I wonder what anyone with intelligence would think of people blindly accepting instructions written by the ignorant without attempting any challenges, any critical thought, any meaningful examination?

We are not subject to electrical regs that may be applicable elsewhere in Europe and they are not bound by Gas Safe regs like we are.
I hope you do not intend to claim that other advanced western nations with far more civilised attitudes to us on societal well-being have dangerously low standards of electrical and gas safety, and that the UK has an excellence which no other nation can hope to emulate.

If these same products are safe to use in other countries without the protection of a 3A fuse, why are they not safe to use in this country?

I wonder what anyone with intelligence would think of people blindly accepting instructions written by the ignorant without attempting any challenges, any critical thought, any meaningful examination?
First of all, what are the instructions or regulations there for? Second, you are assuming those instructions are written by the ignorant. Good luck explaining your reasoning to the inspector/ judge. I would expect the judge condemn any departure from instructions or regulations.
far more civilised attitudes to us on societal well-being
Who has?

have dangerously low standards of electrical and gas safety
In some cases, yes, debunking your above theory.

the UK has an excellence
Yes

which no other nation can hope to emulate.
Of course they can hope.

First of all, what are the instructions or regulations there for?
Before that question can be answered we have to know what risk analyses were done, what failure modes were modelled, and what empirical evidence was considered, which all led to the conclusion that the instructions or regulations were necessary.

Because if those were not done, or they were done and did not justify the instructions or regulations then clearly the answer to your question is "to enshrine poor engineering practice and ignorance".

Second, you are assuming those instructions are written by the ignorant.
Then if they are not there must either be sound reasons for having them (which brings us back to having to consider why those sound reasons do not exist in other countries), or they were written by people who knew that they were unnecessary (which to my mind should be a sacking offence).

Good luck explaining your reasoning to the inspector/ judge. I would expect the judge condemn any departure from instructions or regulations.
What judge? Why would a judge be involved?

An awful lot of the rest of Europe.

In some cases, yes, debunking your above theory.
Which ones?

Yes

Of course they can hope.
And of course you can be shown to be a bigot.

I see you are reverting to insults again - bigot! Ha, ha!

An outsider reading this could equally level that against you!
Before that question can be answered we have to know what risk analyses were done, what failure modes were modelled, and what empirical evidence was considered, which all led to the conclusion that the instructions or regulations were necessary.

Because if those were not done, or they were done and did not justify the instructions or regulations then clearly the answer to your question is "to enshrine poor engineering practice and ignorance".
Pompous drivel!
You could try and say that about anything. Who is to say they weren't done and justification proved? Just because you feel the instructions or regulations are not necessary, does not mean that.

Then if they are not there must either be sound reasons for having them (which brings us back to having to consider why those sound reasons do not exist in other countries), or they were written by people who knew that they were unnecessary (which to my mind should be a sacking offence).
You have a very odd way of looking at things, assuming that people write unneccessary regulations or instructions.
Are you a conspiracy theorist?

What judge? Why would a judge be involved?
Just emulating one of your responses to posts written by people who think they can do work that does not comply with regulations which goes along the lines of "If you were in front of a judge explaining why your work did not comply, would he be sympathetic?"

An awful lot of the rest of Europe.
Very vague. Name names, please. Because I don't think you can back up what you say.

Which ones?
I only mentioned one, namely:
Western nations with far more civilised attitudes to us on societal well-being
would not have
dangerously low standards of electrical and gas safety

I don't have experience of Western nations with far more civilised attitudes to us on societal well-being. In fact most are as civilised and some less so, a few far less so.
Same with standards of electrical and gas safety.

Last edited:
You have a very odd way of looking at things, assuming that people write unneccessary regulations or instructions.
Surely, it is getting to look that way.

What about when bonding was required on just about every metal part?
Had you realised that this was, in fact, hazardous and you chose not to do it, would you have been irresponsible?

25,000,000 earth rods? When will they be fitted?

Just emulating one of your responses to posts written by people who think they can do work that does not comply with regulations which goes along the lines of "If you were in front of a judge explaining why your work did not comply, would he be sympathetic?"
Don't forget that these regulations are not statutory and other countries' standards may be used instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back