Heating Controls / Wiring / Independent Central Heating

Y plan wiring is here: http://www.flameport.com/electric/central_heating/heating_wiring_Y_plan.cs4
which needs a slight alteration for the Hive, as there is no separate room thermostat.

On my photos there is one showing the (messy) wiring in the airing cupboard (blue box).

The black lead (three from the right) is the mid-point valve wiring.

Am I correct in thinking I can wire the hive receiver into the opposite connectors to this lead (along with a live and neutral feed) and it will work?

If not is it a tough / expensive job for an electrician?

Should British Gas have not installed it like this initially?

Sponsored Links
yes it sounds like the thing to do. (what flameport said)

I assume the white wire out of the bottom is the power to the system ?

You first need to understand how your system is wired.

I would suggest doing this in winter and just before xmas really isn't the thing to do!

Wait till March at least !

What happened to the old room stat? Are there some wires there ?

The black lead (three from the right) is the mid-point valve wiring. Am I correct in thinking I can wire the hive receiver into the opposite connectors to this lead (along with a live and neutral feed) and it will work?
No, the valve wires are not what you think they are, and you still need the cylinder thermostat, boiler connection etc.

If not is it a tough / expensive job for an electrician?
Simple enough, an hour of time should be plenty.
The easiest method would be to label all of those cables, disconnect the entire lot, remove all of those useless red links and then reconnect the cables properly. You will only need half of the connection terminals.

I have added a modified diagram to the website for the Hive wiring.

Thermostat wires are tucked away behind the new wireless thermometer holder and are - I assume still connected to the jumble of wires somewhere...

I agree that it should wait until after Xmas but with a little time on my side over the holiday I may plan it.

Sponsored Links
I missed it was hive. Relocate the hive reciever to adjacent the wiring center. Sorted. Prob best to get a sparky with cent heat knowledge in.

At the programmer, is that a brown wire also going to terminal 3 with the red?

If so, is it required?
If so, shouldn't there be an unused grey there somewhere?

Looks like two twin and earths.

Blue/brown flex as supply into programmer.
1 twin and earth feed to wiring center.
1 twin and earth HW CH on.

With mid position, you don't usually need a perm live at the wiring center, only for the programmer and any possible ancillaries, or possibly the boiler if it has pump run on. Could free up a core there if it's not required.

Thanks everyone.

The system has a pump run on so not sure a core could be freed up?

I've given British Gas a call. They installed it (!!!) less than 12 months ago.

They've offered to re/install it (at a cost) which I'll give some thought to.

My concern now is whether they're capable as they messed the initial install up and whether my system is compatible? I take it, due to the mid-pos valve that I don't have a gravity system??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back