Hive thermostat with boilermate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a boilermate thermal hot water store with a glow worm boiler. The control for the heating is a basic grasslin timer and I would like to replace this with the hive heating only receiver as the boilermate controls the hot water supply currently.

I have attached a picture of the current wiring to this timer and I'm assuming I wire up the hive receiver the same way but what is confusing me is that there is 2 wires going into both terminal 3 and 4 as opposed to 1 wire each as I have seen in other installations.

I am assuming I connect the wires currently going into terminal 3 to terminal 1 (common) on the hive receiver and the wires currently going into terminal 4 to terminal 3 (heating on). I have also attached the wiring diagram for the nest receiver.

I would really appreciate any advice on this on whether what I'm proposing would be th correct way of doing this or not.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,480
  • image.png
    image.png
    300.3 KB · Views: 1,407
Sponsored Links
Yes.

1 - L
2 - N
3 - Com
4 - NO
5 - NC

Not sure what the extra wires are. It is probably advisable to find out first.

The extra wires are possibly a frost stat or an override of some sort.
Anyhow, as it stands if you look at the pic of the old one you have the timer motor wires to the left, redx2 and blue and switch wires to the right, redx2 and yellow + black. (One of each of the reds aforementioned looks to be a small link, this is still needed.)

On the hive the red wire and one end of the red link wire both go to L.
The blue wire goes to N.
The other end of the link wire and the other red both go to terminal 1.
The yellow and black both go to terminal 3.

Last edited:
I managed to get this setup successfully today and would like to say a massive thanks to you both.

The extra wires were for a frost stat which I need to replace now as I broke one of the components for that when investigating the wiring.

Sponsored Links
I think by default the hive kicks in around 7ºC for frost protection so, depending on your setup, (ie if the pipework doesn't go into an unheated area and the location of the hive thermostat) you may get away with doing away with the frost stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back