Heating programmer change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first of all, great forum!

Here's my situation. I have an old style (but fully working, serviced and reliable) gas central heating system, baxi boiler with hot water cylinder upstairs and a gravity fed tank in the loft.

It has a danfoss set 5 programmer/controller. However the wall mounted thermostat downstairs doesn't work... hasn't since I moved in.... anyway, I'm looking to change the programmer for a more modern 1 with a wireless thermostat.

...I think this is achievable. I'm looking for any information possible. I'm a keen DIYer but a heating system novice.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Much will depend upon the way that your existing system is plumbed. If you have a system where the hot water is circulated between the boiler and hot water cylinder by gravity, with just a pump for the central heating, you will need some modification to the existing plumbing. However, if you have a 'fully pumped' system where the water from the boiler is circulated by a pump to the hot water cylinder and central heating via motorised valve(s) then new controls will be compatible.

The easiest test is to check is by seeing if you can having only the central heating on, without having the hot water heating up as well.

Assuming that your existing plumbing is OK, then you need to select a wireless thermostat that also provides hot water time control as well. Many don't because they are designed to be used with combi boilers that don't need hot water time control.

To be honest though, if you have wiring in place, I would be inclined to stick with a wired system. The big advantage of 'wireless' is that it alleviates the need to installing wiring, which you already have. Wireless systems have batteries that will need replacing and can be subject to interference.

Thanks for the reply...

It's a strange 1, the only way I get got water is when the central heating is on. It seems I can't have 1 without the other.

My thermostat downstairs seems completely defunct. I've taken the front off it and done a power check, it's almost like it's not connected to the controller. No power is going to the stat. It may have to be a job for an ecectrician then?

Sponsored Links
the only way I get got water is when the central heating is on. It seems I can't have 1 without the other.
That is unusual, most systems even the old ones allow you to have: 1) Hot water only during the summer, and 2) Hot water and central heating in the winter.

So, I agree with AGAS, you need someone to look at the system as a whole to see if it is suitable to operate with modern controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back