Hedge cutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is best here or in gardening - anyway...

I need a new petrol hedgecutter. Corded ones won't reach the fifty yards I need, and I have doubts about the various cordlesses I've seen.

Basically I need something that will run for an hour at a time, so my inclination is for a petrol beast, unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

That said, I bought a McCulloch last time (on the grounds that once upon a time they made decent kit), and it was a total P.O.S. The engine didn't even have a maker's name on it!

Suggestions for something as a replacement, please. Criteria are:
Cutting ability - deal with 10-15mm twig / branches
Run time - up to an hour without undue protest / damage
Availability of spare parts - exactly what it sounds like.

M

Sponsored Links
I can tell you what not to buy and that's a B&Q PowerPro one, a real waste of cash, only used half a dozen times, clutch has gone, throttle cable stretched, cant find a new one and the blade guard has been contorted into strange shapes as its made of wafer thin metal and bends at the sniff of a twig bigger than a couple of mm. Steer well clear.

nstreet,

thanks for that! I normally try to run screaming from own-brand shed tools, unless it's something I know I'll only use once. However, when SWMBO points them out, I can truthfully say I've heard bad things about them and we shouldn't waste our geld! :LOL:

M

I have a Pro 240v hedge cutter and it kicks ass. Cut capacity is 25 or 26mm. Cost about £65 has a real long cutter and isn't too heavy.
I originally wanted a petrol one, but they weighed a ton and the cutter length was very short. I recommend you get a long extension lead or a cheap generator. They had some cheap generators on offer at our local B&Q not long ago.
I would have bought a Makita cutter if I was using it very regularly but this will do me for the amount of times I get a job to cut a hedge. I can hand on heart recommend it. Don't get a petrol one - they're either too heavy or too expensive for a light one.
Gcol

Sponsored Links
From my point of view as a landscaper and gardener, i would not touch any of the own range tools. They are rarely up to the job and as you stated about the mculloch (most of the own ranges are these simply rebadged) they are a pile of crap. I had one as a lightweight one and the engine overheated after 10 minutes use and had to wait to cool down again, bolts fell out etc. cheap plastic crap.

I now use a kawasaki, which i bought on ebay. Very light to use, long blade, very powerful and absolutley fool proof. Makes mince meat of the hedges and i can do a customers in no time at all. Very little fatigue on the arms, and little vibration. I have to say it was one of the best buys in terms of tools. You should expect to pay about 125-175 for one seconhand. Also good are those in the stihl range. i also have the combi kit which has the long arm extension for hedge cutting, but it is heavy and hard work, although fairly quick and very powerful.

Whichever you go for, its worth spending a little extra money on them, a decent second hand make,will be a much better investment than a brand new cheap one. Believe me ive tried that route and while it may work with battery drills etc, landscaping petrol tools are a different matter. Also make sure you get them serviced and sharpened once a year.

Thermo,

thanks - I'll look for a Kwack, then! Last one I had was a damned good tool - it had handlebars, mind you! :p

M

had a look last night and there is one the same model as mine on ebay, if you like going down that route that is (and is definetly not mine, cos its not for sale!) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back