Helical decking supports

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
My elderly neighbour has asked for some advice and help in building a deck, the only access into the garden is through the house so digging out muck and barrowing through the house is a non starter never mind bringing concrete back through, they have suggested a spiral/helical pile system they once saw on a garden makeover type program, has anyone got any experience of these or a supplier for diy and if any special tools required to drive them, any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Do you mean adjustable feet?
They are shown laid on a membrane - not screwed into the soil.
If I was to use them I'd dig post holes and fill with concrete (postcrete?) rather than rely on the soil, or at least lay slabs as support

Band q or wickes

you can also support a deck on concrete spurs which are usually sold for fence post reinforcement. You set them in the ground (have to dig a hole, and preferably concrete) and bolt the beams through the bolt holes.

Decks don't suffer from wind rock like fences do, so you don't need much concrete in the base. I did set some in just rammed earth, and they were easy to pull out when no longer required, by rocking to loosen them. There is no rot to worry about. The small amount of soil dug out could be left out of sight under the decking. Maybe a bucketful per spur. Wooden decking is not a permanent structure like paving or a patio, but is handy for older people and you can run a sloping ramp if you want.

The paving slabs suggested by Cub would also be an adequate base for an ordinary wooden frame.

Sponsored Links
Decking can get slippy?

Worth considering if the chap is a little unsteady. You can use various things to counter this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back