Help! 24L Air Compressor - connection basics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice please?

I have just got hold of a 24 litre JCB compressor - model AC24. I have been having a nightmare getting it all connected.

Am I missing a part - should all air compressors have a hose tap?

Or there is every chance I am just doing it wrong - never used one of these before so any advice appreciated! Photos of all the parts I have are below.

Thanks,

Maria

Sponsored Links
The 'tap' is the regulator knob on top that controls the air flow to the outlet.

You appear to have a quick release connector, two quick release hoses and a threaded hose and something else. The QR connector screws into the silver hex outlet or you can screw the threaded hose in direct. Most people these days would use quick release fittings. They push in and you pull the collar back and pull to release.

Thanks for the reply ntb! Much appreciated.

I have connected the parts as suggested (I hope) , but the problem I am then faced with is that the hose will not click into the quick release.

What am I doing wrong now?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Maria

They can need quite a firm push to connect or maybe even pull back the collar to help the bayonet enter the fitting. There is also the possibility that the bayonet and connector are not quite compatible. I seem to recall there being 2 different versions - one bayonet fitting being shorter and therefore will not connect - but cannot be entirely sure about that. It's a long time since I set mine up. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yep. Try both. Firm push with the collar pulled partly back. You will hear a click when you've got it. Make sure there is no pressure when connecting or disconnecting.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I've got it in with the push as suggested, but there does seem to be a lot of movement. I can't get it back out, so it is locked in, but wobbles from side to side.

Is this actually air tight and ready to turn on?

Sorry for the idiotic questions - I'm terrified of blowing something up!

Thank you, this is a huge help.

Maria

You'll soon know if it isn't air-tight as you will hear the air hissing out of the connector. Nothing will blow up as there is a compressor will have a preset limit, and anyway if it's leaking it will never reach maximum pressure.

Turn it on and see what happens.

The two common connectors are PCL and NPT....the males on yours are definitely PCL but we cant see the female connector. However, they aren't compatible so if they mate together they are both PCL.
For extra gear, Machine Mart is your friend!
John :)

I knew someone would know the technicalities of the connectors :D

I think the connector is wrong, it doesn't fit right so I'm off to Machine Mart to buy a spare.

Thank you for the advice, I would have been completely lost without it!

Maria

You may need ptfe tape and sealant around any threaded items......
What project do you have in mind?

Success! Got everything working today with the right parts in place.

I've been painting some furniture, or rather learning how to. There has been quite a bit of splattering but I'm getting there.

Thanks so much for the advice, I wouldn't have been able to do it without the input!

Cheers,

Maria

Sounds fun!
I don't know if this applies or its even important, but compressed air contains tiny moisture droplets which can be a pain......bigger stuff even lets some oil through.
In line dryers/separators are available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back