Help! - Air lock problems

Haven't tried the glass thing but have just put my hand over the vent and couldn't feel any suction

Sponsored Links
Just reread the whole post and am confused now!

The shower cutting out when the pumps off and all hot outlets open is due to hydraulic gradient and quite normal.

Is there 10 seconds worth of air at the hot outlets or does nothing happen for ten seconds and then the pump starts pumping just water, (no air)?

How many litres a minute from the bath hot tap without the pump on?

Ps apologies Cider I see you suggested the vent pipe at the start.

Is air being drawn in down the cylinder vent pipe? Try proving it with a glass of water.
I don't think that will prove anything at all, because it would take a lot of air being be drawn into the cylinder to reach the bottom of the dip tube, and not only would the glass would be empty by that point, but the taps would stop running before the shower, not after.

IMHO all bets are off until you've proven to yourself that both flow switches are working 100% perfectly.

But the following is interesting:

When I went back recently, I opened all hot taps with the pump switched off to bleed the system and noticed that when all taps were open, the shower cut out?
So what's the gauge of the cold feed to the hot cylinder?

[quote="Softus";
So what's the gauge of the cold feed to the hot cylinder?[/quote]

22mm

Do you know how you check flow switches are 100%? I have spoken with a Salamander engineer before and he didn't mention anything about possible faulty flow switches.

Sponsored Links
The shower cutting out when the pumps off and all hot outlets open is due to hydraulic gradient and quite normal.
Everything about this job is 'normal', and yet he still has a problem. :rolleyes:

I have spoken with a Salamander engineer before and he didn't mention anything about possible faulty flow switches.
In your situation I would:

1. Test the flow switches.
Clearly this isn't a popular idea, either either with you or with Salamander's appointed representative in this matter, so if you prefer to assume that the flow switches are working perfectly then who am I to interfere?

2. Check, double check, and then triple check, that you've used the correct outlet from the Surrey/Salamander flange to pipe to the shower pump.

3. Couple the pump hot outlet to a valve on the end of a length of Hep2o, and test pump operation into the nearest bath/basin.

4. Couple the pump hot inlet to the 'flange's domestic outlet, and test pump operation in that configuration.

5. Temporarily disable all sources off to the cylinder, then temporarily cap off the vent outlet at the CSC, and then test pump operation in that state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back