* HELP * Bell Box Making random chirps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a Scantronic 9448 wired alarm system installed (i know quite old) Its been fine up unitil the last few days ..
The outside bell box has been making random chirps and the strobe has been flashing..Even when the alarm is not armed the bell box has been going off .The Tamper light on the main box has not been triggered either .All the leds are light up like normal ..
i have checked the fuses they are all fine (2 of Them) .the only way to stop the bell box from making any sound.i disconnected the wire from the main board aswell as the strobe wire..

The thing is the alarm still arms and works as it should ,but with no sound from the outside bell .i have checked the wires in the bell they all seem fine and well connected no condensation inside the box.

I have another bell box from another alarm thats in great working condition. Would it be worth trying the different bell box to see if the one in use is broken or could it be something else.

Trouble is im not sure about the wires as the other bell box is marked different i have attached 2 pics of the inside of both boxes .pic 1 is the one in use pic 2 is the newer box that might be worth a try to stop the above fault.
If anyone here can give some guidance to wire the newer box with the existing wires i would be grateful..
Thank you in advance

Martin

Just to add i have checked the PIR's and Door sensor and all working fine

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,378
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 448
Sponsored Links
The odyssey bell could have a faulty piezo sounder
If the wires under the piezo cover are glued into the sounder then that bell box could be faulty
Texecom had a faulty batch or piezo sounders across all rangers of there bell boxes.
The other bell box is older than the Texecom.
A = positive 12volts on bell
B= bell trigger
C=Tamper return
D= o volts on bell
S= strobe trigger
Connection in 9448 for bell box
+12v = A
Ov bell = D
TR =C

Sw-bell trigger = B
ST strobe =S

Other bell box
Hold + =+12volts
Hold- = 0v
Siren = bell sw- trigger
Strobe = ST
Tamper = TR
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BELL BOX FAULT
Also
How old is the back up battery in the control panel as a faulty battery can cause funny faults?

Hi
Thank you very much for the reply.. My next question is..
Would it be worth trying the Odyssey Bell box to find out if my Texecom box is the cause of the problem.. I don't want to throw money at it and find out its not the cause i would rather put it towards a new system. (catch 22 I know) if the Odyssey box works I will buy a new bell box if you say these are unreliable.
So what I don't understand is the wiring as the Texecom has 2 wires going into 1 terminal. Would this be the same on the Odessey box?
Would it be possible to tell me what colour wire will go into what terminal on the Odessey box just to be sure.. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Also the battery is only 8 months old it was changed for a new one.
Thank you again

Martin

The second wire in the positive terminal of the bell box could be positive supply for strobe from control panel?
Post photo of bell wiring in control panel
Is the Texecom bell box the one connected to the 9448?
Does the strobe flash on bell box while alarm unset ?
Does the bell box chirp while alarm unset ?
How old is battery back up in control panel ?
Texecom bell boxes are good
Fault with piezo is now sorted
Have you checked the piezo connections under the plastic cover on the piezo sounder are they glued into the top ?

Sponsored Links
Is the Texecom bell box the one connected to the 9448? YES
Does the strobe flash on bell box while alarm unset ? YES
Does the bell box chirp while alarm unset ? YES
How old is battery back up in control panel ? Replaced about 8 months ago

Have you checked the piezo connections under the plastic cover on the piezo sounder are they glued into the top ?
i did notice that these are glued connections under the plastic cover

I have disconnected 2 wires from the panel one for the strobe and one to stop the bell making a noise Just to keep the neighbors happy.

I can still arm the alarm and its all working as it should apart from the outside bell not working ..

Thank you very much for your replies HandymanJo its appreciated .

On another note i have been looking at a new alarm the visonic powermax alarm wireless system .i could probably fit one of these myself .
What are thoughts on these systems any good ?

just been looking just in case i need a new one as the Scantronic must 20 year + old.

thanks again

Martin

Why would you want to change for a wireless alarm
Always changing batteries in detectors and wireless bell boxes only ring for 4 minutes due to battery life.
I would look at changing your control panel for a wired version.
Can you check any outputs with a multimeter ?
Is there 12 volts on the bell trigger and strobe trigger while alarm unset ?

Hi,
I don't really want to change to a wireless system. It was just the easier option to fit it myself rather than pay someone to replace the panel...
I have a cheap multi meter so I could check the voltage if you point me in the right direction.
But on testing the alarm earlier today I decided to cut the power to the Alarm as its on a separate fuse in my consumer unit and low and behold the battery didnt kick in. Checked if the battery was actually charging and it's not there is no voltage from the main board getting to the battery. So I'm guessing that side of it is broken.
So with this now a problem it looks like I will have to change the panel..
I'm quite happy having a go I'm electrically minded but not 100% on alarm systems..
All the alarm cables are marked so i know which sensor they run to (and the Bell) So im guessing thats part of the battle sorted..

So my question is which panel should i be looking at to replace my aging Scantronic 9448 .Not wanting anything fancy maybe one with a led readout .but one thats relatively easy to connect to my existing wiring and reliable.

All i have is 1 door magnetic sensor . 2 pirs downstairs and 2 upstairs .upstairs is on seperate zone .

Thank you again

Martin

You can replace with another 9448 or swap
Texecom 8 compact same size as 9448
Have you checked the fuse inside the panel ?
They are on the circuit board in little black fuse holders
You need to check fuses and see what voltage outputs you have then
You may just need a battery ?

Have you checked the fuse inside the panel ?
Yes i found a problem with one of the fuse holders it was loose on the board maybe dry jointed ,But anyhow got the soldering iron out and fixed this ..the fuses are fine.

checked the voltage for the battery charging, am getting around 16v from the terminal ,not sure what its supposed to be at.

But having put it all back together i tested it and seemed to be working fine,armed the system as we would on a night and went to bed .Dissarmed it this morning with no faults through the night ..At about 10.30 this morning the strobe has started flashing for no reason .No noise from the bell box or the main box in the house ,no tamper light on ..
Have you any idea what this could be .
Should i just be bite the bullet and get another 9448 panel like this one in the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eaton-Sca...hash=item25a98eddb7:m:mlxJMe8GEoD5Va3UNg1wBrA

thanks again

Martin

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
16 volts seams abit high ? 13.60 v is about right but that would depend on the quality of your multimeter.
You fault also depends on how long you what to look for the fault ?
Could be panel or bell box.The 9448+ is the direct replacement and will retro fit with your existing panel.
Google panel to see if you can get any cheaper,but it's about right price.
If you change panel also change battery at same time.

So my multimeter isnt of any quality so that could be a false reading .

Just inform you also the bell box started to sound again and strobe flashing about every 10 seconds later in this afternoon when it wasnt armed .So i have disconnected the strobe and bell from the panel to shut it up .

So back to my first message on here .As i have another bell box im thinking of swapping them over to see if the fault lies with the bell box or not..
i have attached 2 pics again one showing the wiring of the panel and the other of the bell box im gonna try.
Please can you advise as what terminal the wires connect to in the bell please .

im guessing in the bell

strobe = black
siren = yellow
Tamp = blue
Not sure of the green and the red/white which go into the same terminal on the panel.

thank you again .Well i cant thank you enough its much appreciated

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 412
  • new bell box.jpg
    new bell box.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 296
you could use your multimeter to take a reading in the control panel.
Bell positive+ and bell trigger - .if alarm unset then you should have no voltage between the 2 terminals,if you have voltage in unset mode then panel faulty ?

Excuse my ignorance. By bell trigger- and bell positive is that the white and red wire terminal and the yellow wire terminal in the panel.?
I am getting my head around this slowly. Don't get me wrong but I love this kinda thing it's also a learning curve

Yes that's correct
Set multimeter to dc voltage
Put red meter lead on red/white terminal and put black meter lead on yellow terminal if you have voltage 13v then panel faulty?
You could also check strobe output as well by putting black meter lead on black wire terminal.
When the alarm is unset you should not have any voltage on the trigger output.That would explain why strobe and bell are ringing in unset mode?
Hope this helps sort problem,finding faults can take some time and is a process of limitation.

So this evening i will check the voltage on the outputs on the panel and give you the outcome here.
in the meantime , if the panel is doomed to the wheelie bin i have been looking at other options .Apart from getting another 9448 which will be the same wiring as the one i have now .Wouldnt it be a better option buying a newer up to date system ..i have been looking and reading about the Texecom Premier Elite 48 live with a panel that has got the integrated keypad.Which seem to have a good reviews ..

What do you think ?

Cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back