Alarm bell box chirping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I hope someone can help me. I have yesterday had an old burglar alarm (Veritas 8c) decommissioned; so the electrician sorted it at the control panel by removing the battery, fuse and cutting the mains power cable. I thought this would stop the chirping from the outside wall bell box, but it is still chirping at every 50 second intervals. My question is a) Could there be a battery in the bell box? and b) Do I wait it out and will it die out and if yes how long could it take? Really appreciate your replies in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there will be a battery in the bell box.
Can you reach it with a ladder, or with a sledge hammer? ;)

Thank you for your reply. I don’t have a ladder. I am a female scared of heights climbing a step ladder to change a bulb. Thank you for the sledgehammer recommendation btw

Then I won't suggest reaching it from an upstairs window. If you have a neighbour with a ladder, they may be more than happy to have a look, just for the benefit of their peace and quiet :)
If it isn't causing a nuisance to others, you may have to let it die out :(

Sponsored Links
Hehe you are right, I certainly won’t be reaching for it from an upstairs window . I do know a handyman with a ladder and will ask him to sort it. Once again thank you

You could ask some local kids to throw stones at it, or try and drown it with their super soakers, or maybe even enlist a farmer to come and shoot it ?

and get my windows smashed while they aim for the alarm box

The correct way to decommission an alarm power down control panel mains and battery ,then ladders out to Disconnect bell box.
Yes half a job spark.

He could have at least send 240v through it if he couldnt be bothered getting his ladders off

Know old bell boxes to chirp for days. Wait till the early hours when quiet outside.Can be quite irritating for neighbours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back