Help - binary gas flow on Hot water

only cos the mods have clobbered your inane rantings :eek:

The only Mod to remove my posts was you when you childishly couldn`t win an argument, you know it I know it. If you`re so in love with America why don`t you post there on websites instead of boring the sh*ite out of us loyal Brits? We paid you benefits for long enough. See you when you need an operation. ;) Preferably on your personality. Your Motto now is `Thatcher`s England, you are welcome to it` Great! We love it, why are you still here?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone feel a £7000.00 BG powerflush coming on :evil:

I think you are being rather unfair there!

BG only charge £700 and NOT £7000 !

To the OP:

Measure the flow rate at a tap at which the boiler JUST switches on and tell us in litres per minute.

Then take a shower and turn on a hot tap AS WELL and see if the boiler still goes off !

I suspect the diverter valve is failing and the shower is thermostatically reducing the flow below the turn on flow rate of the boiler.

Tony

To the OP:

Measure the flow rate at a tap at which the boiler JUST switches on and tell us in litres per minute.

Then take a shower and turn on a hot tap AS WELL and see if the boiler still goes off !

I suspect the diverter valve is failing and the shower is thermostatically reducing the flow below the turn on flow rate of the boiler.

Tony

The op has already said the boiler fires on/off at all dhw outlets not just the shower.

Details - I have a Worcester 28 CDi combination boiler (suspect around 7-8 years old, we've only been in the property 4 years) in a 4 bed house with one bathroom. Direct cold water mains feed to the boiler. We didn't really notice the problem with the hot water until the shower got upgraded although it was there on every tap (just thought thats how the bolier works, on/off to regulate the temp) i

you missed this bit tony ;)

Sponsored Links
Note - Boiler was "serviced" by BritGas 2 weeks ago who gave clean bill of health despite my wife pointing out this problem (and occasional drip of water from underneath) - yes I know they only check to see if gas is pouring out the side of it and don't fix anything else (strange if I take my car for a "service" they identify all faults and offer to fix)

Best getting a proper engineer not on piecework/targets to have a good look at your boiler and check things like gas rates,.pressures etc, all BG engineers have to get in get out, not interested in problems, don`t look good on the old paperwork. Get an honest engineer to spend a couple of hours on it. ;)

I did notice that he said the problem is at every tap.

He also said taps have to be turned on full to get the boiler to fire up.

I need him to do the measurement and then test to move the diagnosis forward.

Tony

Sounds like a hot water flow switch problem to me, but what do I know, (cue flurry of sad acts to see if it has one). ;) only 2 taps, 1 kitchen,1 bathroom.

To the OP:

Tony

Not once the sales shark decides he needs a new boiler.

I did notice that he said the problem is at every tap.

He also said taps have to be turned on full to get the boiler to fire up.

I need him to do the measurement and then test to move the diagnosis forward.

Tony

The OP also said the problem was noticeable after the new shower was installed.

Jesus H, what must the OP be thinking, he asks why his 7/8 year old London combi's hot water fluctuates, probaly scaled up and it turns into a handbags at dawn brawl, very proffessional.

Could also be a mixer or new shower valve backing up the hot.

I was referred to as "boilerperson" the other day by a............6-year old girl!

"Mommy, what is the "boilerperson" doing?"

In this modern world they are taught in Kindergarten that they must use the correct sexual form of address!

Tony

I'll follow up with the test to identify how/many litres per min turns on the boiler, but this morning things took a turn for the worse.
In the midst of shower this morning (after a few cycles of the usual on/off heat at the boiler end - which the shower usually manages to iron out to a steady heat BTW) the water went entirely cold and the red light above the heating temp dial started flashing (heating not on since April BTW). Turning the entire boiler off and then on again didn't clear the flashing light, but holding in the little red button next to the flashing light did.
Boiler continued to work for a while but during a shower later same thing happenned again (with same solution)

Any thoughts, please?

Going to get an engineer in on Monday/Tuesday. When you were talking about things being sludged-up with the heat exchanger did you mean the gas coming in; the cold water coming in; the hot water tap system beyond the bolier; Or the heating water(radiators) ? Don't trust BG now after "service" so now need to find engineer in SE London

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back