Help condenser trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glowworm Energysaver 50 e
I have taken the condenser trap off my boiler as it was leaking water and had a build up of silt I emptied it, fixed the leak and refitted it empty. Do i need to fill it with water or do anything else before i restart the boiler? Thanks Rich

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the reply, is that yes to fill with water and do i need to do anything else just after some reassurance.
cheers
Rich

Sponsored Links
1. It's a room sealed boiler and if there's no water in the trap (until it fills with condensate) it's no longer room sealed.

2. The trap is under negative pressure and without being filled the fan will draw air in through the condensate pipework (if there is no external trap fitted) affecting burner operation ie it bypasses it.

thx...how long for...an hour or 2 i take it....till its filled it ?

i ask cos the corgi guy i,m working with never fills them

thx...how long for...an hour or 2 i take it....till its filled it ?

i ask cos the corgi guy i,m working with never fills them

I suggest you find another business partner before you have a carbon monoxide incident....such basic lazyness and lack of understanding will not do you any favours.

The Glowworm Energysaver operates with the trap under NEGATIVE pressure and the boiler will probably still operate relatively safely with an empty trap until it fills, say within 10 minutes of running.

However, the vast majority of condensate traps operate under POSITIVE pressure ie combustion products can be blown through the trap if it is empty. Many manufacturers specify an air break between the boiler trap and external condensate pipework. This means combustion products could be blown into the room. Also bear in mind fully pre-mixed burners can potentially produce higher levels of carbon monoxide than conventional burners.

ALWAYS fill the trap with water before initial commisioning of the boiler and after servicing. Normally it's best to pour water directly into the heat exchanger...this way all the seals can be leak tested. Tell your colleaque to RTFM, he's clearly a cowboy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back