Help... conservatory coming away from exterior wall!!

Sponsored Links
Seen as its coming away from the wall so much you can slide something slim down the gap to see if there are any fixing in to the wall, which maybe missing! or being pulled out.
You would be better posting in windows and doors for a better advice.

See, this is my concern - missing fixings. But as I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to conservatory construction, I don't know where the fixings should sit.

Yes that's what you should do. All it is from your perspective is routine maintenance. Just make it a neat job that does not stand out. Seal any visible gap, then clean the adjacent frame so that the new mastic does not stand out either.

Don't worry about the buyer, you are not misleading them. It's the buyers responsibility to carry out sufficient checks, and you can answer all the standard conveyance questions honestly too.

Be interested to get your opinion on the potential of missing fixings.
In terms of sealing the gap, the frame fitted to the wall is probably about 3cm wide. Do I need to fill that in, or just cover up the sides so you can't see the actual gap!?

I personally wouldn't be filling any gaps until I was sure what was happening. Ideally you need a site visit by someone in the trade. Does the roof have any tie bars?

Sponsored Links
I personally wouldn't be filling any gaps until I was sure what was happening. Ideally you need a site visit by someone in the trade. Does the roof have any tie bars?
The OP is moving in the new year. Messing about with might be's and could do's is not going to help one bit, and once they have done all this investigation and then know the problem cause then they have a duty to declare it or fix it.

Be interested to get your opinion on the potential of missing fixings.
In terms of sealing the gap, the frame fitted to the wall is probably about 3cm wide. Do I need to fill that in, or just cover up the sides so you can't see the actual gap!?
As per my previous post, there could be several reasons for that gap. If you take the strip off, you'll see fixings or none, but frame fixings are designed to stop sideways movement not pull out movement.

Use frame silicone to seal gaps up to about 5mm and move or add new cover strips or quadrant bead for bigger gaps.

Scrape off any residue if you move strips, and clean with jiff or car polish to remove signs of the strips being moved.

As per my previous post, there could be several reasons for that gap. If you take the strip off, you'll see fixings or none, but frame fixings are designed to stop sideways movement not pull out movement.

Use frame silicone to seal gaps up to about 5mm and move or add new cover strips or quadrant bead for bigger gaps.

Scrape off any residue if you move strips, and clean with jiff or car polish to remove signs of the strips being moved.

Hi - I have exactly the same issue, it appears. Sorry to resurrect old thread but so many similarities, including the imminent house move.
I have the gap from bottom to top, it's about 1.5cm at the top . Same coming from the roofline down to the corner - no gap at the ridge, up to 1.5cm. Externally brickwork looks fine - not a crack anywhere to be seen. I'm comfortable enough adding silicone and moving the quadrant bead to cover - they're 2cm wide so should be sufficient, question would be what you suggest using at the top where the rectangular plastic board bit (internal soffit board?) is? Just fill gap there with mastic - or procure some additional beading to put here, which might look a bit odd?
Likewise what would you suggest at the top along the join between roof & house?
At the corner you can see daylight from a certain angle, I'd propose putting some colourless waterproof sealant here on the outside?

Attachments

• IMG_6136.jpg
    IMG_6136.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6137.jpg
    IMG_6137.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 156
smiler1357, good evening.

Good old post that??

Looks as if your roof, more especially the ridge, has moved away from the wall of the house?

If you look at the gap at the ridge, compares with the gap at the eaves, there appears [from the images posted] the eaves are still close to the wall but there is an increasing gap as you get nearer the ridge.

Can I ask? what is the state of the mastic [and any gaps] externally and internally down both sides of the structure?

If the problem is confined to the roof and the sides are stable, simply move the existing beading, or remove the existing beading and glue on a new cover bead / plate.

Ken.

PS you may get shouted at for resurrecting an old post?? by the MODS?

smiler1357, good evening.

Good old post that??

Looks as if your roof, more especially the ridge, has moved away from the wall of the house?

If you look at the gap at the ridge, compares with the gap at the eaves, there appears [from the images posted] the eaves are still close to the wall but there is an increasing gap as you get nearer the ridge.

Can I ask? what is the state of the mastic [and any gaps] externally and internally down both sides of the structure?

If the problem is confined to the roof and the sides are stable, simply move the existing beading, or remove the existing beading and glue on a new cover bead / plate.

Ken.

PS you may get shouted at for resurrecting an old post?? by the MODS?

Hi there - it's the opposite actually. The joint you see in the pictures is at the eaves, there is no gap at the ridge, growing to 1.5cm at the eaves.

There is no mastic visible internally. Externally, on one side it's totally normal sealing, along the edge of the external cover plate. On the side with the gap the sealant is ever so slightly out from the edge of the cover plate, but there's no visible gap except that hole at the top in the pictures - no mastic there, I believe it's where there is a join in the lead flashing.

Hoping it was ok to resurrect an old one - there were so many similarities! Just had to tick a box to say I meant to reply to an old thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back