Help I’ve got some silicone in my gloss!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had almost finished the gloss coat on my new door frame when I dragged the brush over a remnant of silicone from sealing around the bath. The paint immediately started to mottle. I have stopped painting and am allowing it to dry.

Could anyone help with advice on how to recover from this? How should I prep the mottled area and that contaminated by the silicone? I would like to avoid repainting the whole door frame.

Also, would it be safe to clean the brush or should I throw it away?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the paint is still very wet you can try cleaning up the area with a clean cloth with some white spirit on it, and carry on painting.

However, if the paint is drying out and is NOT in a workable condition, leave it to dry as you may end up in a right mess. Ideally wait for it to dry if you can wait, then clean it up, and touch up with paint.

Clean the brush thoroughly with white spirit. Use another brush if you need to finish the area you are painting if it will save you drying time.

Sponsored Links
Gloss is surprisingly easy to touch up, sand any blemishes (when dry) with a very fine sand paper. Obviously some areas are easier to touch up if they are out of eye level.

When doing gloss work always keep a clean cloth and white spirit nearby as this will save time when a problem arises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back