Help I cant turn my heating off!

your talking about the one on the end ?
that is meant to move when the valve opens and closes.

what happens if you leave it and turn programmer off does the boiler keep running ?

Sponsored Links
Yes it keeps running.
Should I press the other black switch and take the top off like you said before?

take the top off see if it stops.

push the side button in and the top will lift off.

Ok I just did that and the whole thing came off I didnt realise that it had a screw in one side holding it down. It stopped. Anyway I put it back on and took the lid off. I cant get the lid fully off because there is a pipe above it. I can see some wires and a spindle I think you were talking about. What should I do now? Put the lid back on and try putting my heating on and off like before and see if it stops when I turn it off?

Sponsored Links
Ok I just did that and the whole thing came off
yes it should

I didnt realise that it had a screw in one side holding it down.

the screw is if you only want to take the lid off not the complete actuator.
Anyway I put it back on and took the lid off. I cant get the lid fully off because there is a pipe above it. I can see some wires and a spindle I think you were talking about. What should I do now? Put the lid back on and try putting my heating on and off like before and see if it stops when I turn it off?

bit confused here have you seperated the complete plastic part from the brass valve ?
or just removed the lid where you can see the motor etc ?

can you get the complete actuator off the brass valve ?
by pushing the side lever in and releasing the complete plastic unit.

so you can get to the spindle. so your left with this
Z2_th.jpg

yes I have taken it completed off and it looks similar to this picture.
What should I do now?

can you turn the brass spindle by hand. it only turns about 1/4 turn max.

but is it free or can't you turn it.
if not try a pair of pliers and turn it back/foreward a few times.

if the heating is shutting off when the top removed it tells me the spindle is stiff and not letting the valve return back.
as the valve only returns by a spring.

can you do it back/foreward a few times it may loosen it abit.
use a pair of pliers on it.

then you can replace head and see if it works.

that lever on the end you should be able to push it across and let it go and it will return on its own.

brilliant I've tried it a few times now and it is now switching off on its own. Thanks so much you have really helped me and saved me lots of money.
You have been very patient with me thank-you.

not knowing age,condition of system it may be getting a bit mucky and need a system cleaner putting through the system.
or if it seizes again maybe a new valve.

but you know what to do next time.
ok-wink.gif

Hello again,
My heating did the same thing again this morning so I took it off and used the pliars again. Do you know how I can stop this keep happening? Do I need to oil it to stop it sticking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back