help identify this boiler noise please

Sponsored Links
When your service guy looked at the boiler did he check the combustion figures (not just gas pressure) and were they in spec? Normally a faulty burner or gas valve would show up on an analyser.
For me it sounds like heat exchanger kettling, get some cleaning chemical in there. Start with something mild and work your way up to some of the more serious chemicals. Bare in mind the solo he heat exchanger isn't the most robust. So watch out for leaks.

yes the readings were close to him having to turn it off.
More research shows that the boiler I have has a known design fault. What this means is that no matter how much I patch it up it is doomed to fail.
It is very annoying but I'm not going to throw money at it, I'll run it until its beyond use then get another installed, I have some time to source a replacement.
Thanks again for everyone help.

Wise choice, Ive replaced about a dozen or more of those heat exchangers over the years. Pick something with a stainless heat exchanger, much hardier :)

Sponsored Links
I always used to recommend Vaillant heat only boilers as they had wonderful stainless heat exchangers with copper flow/return pipes straight out of the boiler, no messing. But I believe only the largest one in the range still has a stainless heat exchanger (38kw, I think?) you would need to check. Now although you can range rate these boilers down to your requirements (which is great) Building regs dont allow you to over spec a boiler size for your property!

Just checked and it looks like the 438 is the only stainless heat only model, 6.3-38kw output @80C

Just seen your link above, that boiler is a system boiler, not heat only. But Viessmann do use stainless heat exchangers. Me personally, I think that some of their design decisions are questionable, but thats just me ;)

Last edited:
So your replacing the boiler for a simple fault? Your choice.

Edit: ive just read that website link (the baxi solo one). Awful page and tells you bugger all except to call him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back