help identify this boiler noise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my boiler groans worse than my old woman and I have no idea what it is. Its not all the time and doesn't appear to be at any particular time, bit random.

The guy who services my boiler had no idea, I sent the MP3 file (link below to the file) to Baxi technical (its a Baxi Solo HE condensing boiler) but Baxi replied "don't know" which was a bit disappointing.

Can anyone help ?

Click to play, should open new window and then playable sound file.

PG

Sponsored Links
Could be combustion noise, or the fan...get Baxi in on a fixed-price repair and they'll keep throwing parts at it until the problem goes away. You'll need to be sure of it happening when they come though so try to make a note of when it happens and look for a pattern

That's part of the problem (in part) no pattern, it just happens, more frequent as boiler always on so it must kick on and off more often so maybe at a start up but I really can't pin it down (and I've tried :)

Just called Baxi and it would be about £360 + vat. Expensive if the problem does not repeat when they are there. Bar the noise the boiler is fully functioning as it should. But its much cheaper & less hassle than new boiler. Making it repeat on demand that's going to trip me, this sound file is the best i have right now.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like pipework resonance to me, caused by the water pump. There is a lowish frequency there (<100Hz), on top of the 1 second ampitude modulation. But it might also be the fan or combustion noise.

Try changing the pressure in the primary system a bit, and also adjust the radiator balancing a little to see if you get a change or reduction in the noise. I assume that the pump, when on, is usually quiet and does not vibrate?

You might also feel the primary pipework around the boiler when it's making a noise. If it is vibrating then it suggests the pump/pipework.

George

Thanks guys, i'll try the simple stuff to start, adjust pressures and adjust 2 reads nearest, then a gas valve.

Was away for couple days, turned on when got back and first hour, cold, all quiet but once its warm it did its random hum again (short lived joy:) so warmed up only is another clue.

Isint it the solo that makes a racket when the burner matrix is gubbed ?

Well adjusting the rads didn't help, I'll alter the mains pressure valve to increase it a bit (from memory its about 4) tonight but its looking like the tenner could be on its way to pablo :)

Hi,
I adjusted all the rads & pressure, no change. I finally took the cover off to visual check for anything unusual/loose but only noticed the pilot light changed colour when the boiler made the noise, like it was being blown on, but apart from that nothing.

So I need to make a choice.
Gas valve easily £150, it also needs (according to service guy) new seal and a fan, guess another £150 then fit, maybe £150 more, so thats £450 minimum on a 7/8 year old boiler.
2. Replace. Considering a change to a combi (my personal circumstances have changed recently) which seems more efficient, large bungalow lots of rads but no simultaneous water use for baths/shower etc.

Bit annoyed because it looks as though water ingress might have a lot to do with the problem which is most likely the seal. Boilers aren't cheap and I guess fitting will be £500 all day long so £2000 total which I need like a hole in the head right now.

Or just out another std boiler in, surely cheaper to fit and seem to cost less, but I don't need tanks of water.
Time to get some boiler specs/prices on both variations. Seen some second hand combi on eBay, they don't fetch much even if quite new, so it might be more cost effective to buy, service and get installed than new

Thanks again for input from everyone along the way,

Kev

You don't seem to want to spend any money!

So as it works fine then why not leave it and ignore the noise?

If it were a gas related noise there is a simple test that I would do to check that. But cannot give advice on that here.

Tony

Last edited:
more a case of not wanting to throw good after bad. I tried the obvious and that was the purpose. Now I need to get a replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back