Help identifying hardcore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got garden people laying down some pathways, and the hardcore they're using is causing me a little concern. I wanted to identify what it is and if it's suitable for the job. They reckon it'll go rock hard when dried, and called it clunch (or something like that!). It has a chalky appearance and seems like clay in there too. It's laid on a weed sheet and has been whackered down but still it has a spongy feeling. I appreciate it's rained a lot recently and may not have dried out much though.
The top surface will be compacted gravel self-binding (not the resin one).

(I thought this was more of a building topic rather than a gardening one).

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• 20221031_150048[1].jpg
    20221031_150048[1].jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20221031_150220[1].jpg
    20221031_150220[1].jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
I have an idea clunch is crushed chalk with added stone. It can be moulded and beaten down to make houses rather like cob. It will be a regional practice so say where you are.

Are you in a chalky area?

Will the top layer be hoggin? I've had that and very durable but may need re-levelling after 50 years.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John that makes a lot of sense now and after looking up clunch and cob walls it seems a lot of churches are built from it (?) and the material is common in eastern England which is where I am.
Yes top layer will be hoggin with a mixture of fines, and will be whackered down without resins.
Lasting 50 years is good with me, I’ll be well gone by then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back