help -illegal boiler work

If he is not registered, report them to Gassafe and HSE. You can do it anonymously.

Try the local council, Building Control Department.

You must employ a Gas Safe Register approved installer to undertake this work on gas boilers / appliances. By using a ‘Gas Safe registered installer’ you do not have to make a Building Regulation application, the installer will self-certify the installation. In all other cases a Building Regulation application has to be made.

Copied and pasted from the internet.

Sponsored Links
If the guy has many properties then he'll no-doubt have a registered guy he uses for the certificates on other properties. He'll be getting his handyman to do the work and the Gas Safe guy to commission it. What's wrong with that?

He'll be getting his handyman to do the work and the Gas Safe guy to commission it. What's wrong with that?

You don't understand the technicalities of registration. You can commission, safety check, landlords any gas appliance because you are simply providing the customer with an examination/report as to the safe/unsafe state of the installation. It matters not who fitted it as service sheets, warning labels or landlords/homeowners certificates are not 'sign offs'. The 'sign off' is 'gas work notification' which an RGI cannot do for anyone else. That's why they're called 'self certification schemes'.

His regular RGI will do exactly as the landlord asks - there might be 50 properties he'd lose otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Happens all the time because your industry is ruined by rip-off merchants.

Happens all the time because your industry is ruined by rip-off merchants.

It can't happen as often as you think as the example you've used is made up. Otherwise why don't you list all those you know that work this way? I don't know any.

How much do YOU charge for a combi swap that takes a day? (Labour)

Reading between the lines the landlord and his boiler installing handyman are what are sometimes called ethnics. They often have a registered person within their tribe who will do the paperwork illegally.

I once went to repair a boiler and the tenants showed me the gas safety certificate which had been completed before there was any gas supply in the property. [ You need the gas on to test the appliances ]

My trainee went to work for a firm run by a Jewish Iranian. Working in that firm doing installations was another who had been struck off by CORGI for five years because he had been giving out his CORGI numbers to illegal installers to enable them to use it on their paperwork!

A Jamacian man and his son were making installations using their uncles registration number and both called me in each case giving the ( same ) uncles name. But the father had a Jamacian accent and the son a London accent. When I visited the customer under the warrantee it took me two seconds to realise that they were all white Jamacians! The uncle had repeatedly reported them to CORGI with no apparent effect.

Tony

Same in every walk of life. I can get an MOT certificate with just a phone call.

Why do you doubt it? It happens all the time. I don't DO it - but I can if I want to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back