help -illegal boiler work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The landlord next door is having a boiler put in by foreign oplumbers who are not corgi registered. Can I do anything to stop this or report it?

I have a family and i live next door, hence very worried.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
They don't need to be Corgi, it's 'Gas Safe'. How can you be sure they're not registered. I met many RGI's with foreign accents.

Phone the Gas Safe Register and see if they give a to55. i doubt it but would be interested in their response.

Sponsored Links
i can tell you that they are not gas safe.
You're probably right then, but remember it's officialdom you'll have to convince, don't expect anything like the response you'd get if you were reporting suspected tax dodgers.

They (Gas Safe) probably won't act by you telling them 'they're foreign and unregistered' You may need a trading name for them confirm non-registration then proof they've actually done the job or it will just be classed as un-notified rather than un-registered work. Ideally the burden should be on the consumer who employs them.

ta for the replies.

This landlord has quite a few properties maniatined by a generic handyman which is the same guy doing the bolier work.

I'll ring hse tomorrow and the let you know.

I hope your are sure of your facts my friend! you havn't given me a convincing arguement as to how you KNOW he is not registered there are many landlords that employ a handyman who just happens to be registered with gas Safe I would do a check with GSR if you are concearned, making accusations to HSE could upset said handyman and you may find yourself in an unpleasent place!! BE VERY CAREFULL

ta for the replies.

This landlord has quite a few properties maniatined by a generic handyman which is the same guy doing the bolier work.

Look mate you are on a slippery slope don't go there.

Have a word with the guy tomorrow under the guise you want work doing on your gas pipes say and then ask to see his installer id etc

No need to get the HSE wan**rs involved

ta for the replies.

Have a word with the fitter, tell him you are thinking of having a new boiler. Ask for a business card.

Then check him out here:
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

If he is not registered, report them to Gassafe and HSE. You can do it anonymously.

so is the new boiler now fitted.
is there a lot of flue plume (smoke/steam flowing on to your property)
your neighbour is covered by the human rights rules as described in the european union rules.
sorry this is easy england with a back bone as strong as jelly.
you have human rights to enquire to the relavent bodies regarding the name of your neighbours installer.gas safe or council should have paperwork.
but if you cannot smell gas or see a great plume in your property,best just forget it.

take care.

ta for the replies.

Have a word with the fitter, tell him you are thinking of having a new boiler. Ask for a business card.

Then check him out here:
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

If he is not registered, report them to Gassafe and HSE. You can do it anonymously.

Ive done that many times. Gets you nowhere. I report my name aswell, as I've no qualms about people knowing I've reported them. BUT, I'm not likely to be confronted by them.

Gassafe can inspect poor workmanship, and in some cases can remove a business from the register, whereas the HSE will just send a polite letter to the offending non-registered tradesperson stating thay must not carry on working with gas, if they are not registered. Give it a month, report them again, and the same letter is sent.

How do I know?

My ex-apprentice is working illegally and is so daft to give my name when he cant fix a boiler. 8 times I've reported him now - and he still works un-registered. He's had a few letters but nothing worth bothering about. I know this becuase I have a few beers with him once a month.

John, it's a joke.

Mr. W.

gas safe/hse no back bone as they want to make money and not spend it on looking or tracking down un registered installers/repairers.
probaly going to say this wrong but what the f12k,how many languages can the gas safe/hse inspectors speak in,when they knock at front doors at random.
i love england well until i was made redundant to be replaced by a frog.

rant over.

still love england

Just look at how many cowboys get prosecuted. Same with people who work on their own electronics. Have a look at how many DIYers who have been nailed under part P. It simply hjasnt happened.

A law without teeth is pointless.

I would NEVER touch gas, and certainly not the LPG supply I am connected to (OK, tell a lie, I am deplumbing my existing boiler, but have the ability to turn off the supply at the main tank and have 2 secondary isol valves). I would never connect up a new supply and I will be making damn sure that the guy who does the work is ticked up and good to do it.

Hi,

The landlord next door is having a boiler put in by foreign oplumbers who are not corgi registered. Can I do anything to stop this or report it?

Many thanks

Why not telephone Gas Safe, and explain that the "dodgy" guy is cuurrently working at that address. Don't go on about them being foreign, it's irrelevant, and possibly xeonophobic. Suggest that the local Inspector could call in, you MAY get a result, and you cab at least say you tried.

Let us know the outcome.

Hi,

Many thanks

Why not telephone Gas Safe, and explain that the "dodgy" guy is cuurrently working at that address. Don't go on about them being foreign, it's irrelevant, and possibly xeonophobic. Suggest that the local Inspector could call in, you MAY get a result, and you cab at least say you tried.

Let us know the outcome.

Could you not state your concerns over what potentially illegal work would do to your home insureance policy in the event of a gas explosion?

If you have genuine concerns, and have evidence to back it, write a letter. Far more weight behind a letter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back