HELP .. in need of some on the job experience of electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sparks... Well i am just studying my city&guilds and also my 17th edition regs.

I have very little on the job experience. I would be very interested in any one giving me a day or 2 a week, or maybe more work? I have good labouring experience,, chasing. etc etc.

Live in north london 35 years of age.. change of career.. Always been interested in the domestic side of things.

i wouldn't mind working for the minimum wage - just so i can get some on the job knoledge .

Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
Lots of sparks don't like employing someone in there area such as you.

reason is simply that they feel you will gain the experience and then walk off and become a direct competitor to work in 'their' patch.

Absolute poo, but just trying to be honest with you.

Could I suggest you drive around and take notes of all the loft conversions and building working going on. From there you will have half a dozen 'firms' that have to use sparks. Phone them up and see if they need any juniors / mates- you might get lucky.

Another way of finding firms is to use the NICEIC site and find sparks firms in your region- the site gives addresses, email, web and phone contacts. Again that gives you an 'in' to firms that might help.

Thats great advice.. Thanks for your honesty. I will make a list and see what i can come up with. Many thanks again.

:D

you want to be taught things and paid the minimum wage, how much is the training center or the college paying you to learn??

Sponsored Links
So when someone starts a job the first day and needs to learn about the company, it's procedures, what their job entails and gain experience - improve knowledge they shouldn't be paid anything then?

The poor guy won't get paid for a couple of years then will he, just work for the charity of the employer. What a load of tosh.

So when someone starts a job the first day and needs to learn about the company, it's procedures, what their job entails and gain experience - improve knowledge they shouldn't be paid anything then?

The poor guy won't get paid for a couple of years then will he, just work for the charity of the employer. What a load of tosh.

charity??? or the employer pays him, spends time showing him what to do (takes twice as long), lets them have a go themselves (takes three times longer) and then has to re-check it (time and a half)

Would you pay a tradesman extra to cover the cost of the apprentice?? Didn't think so.

I would happily show anyone how to do anything, but im not going to pay for the privilage of teaching someone, especially when the time taken has a detrimental effect on the amount of money I could be earning.

I have had two apprentices and guess what happened when the one that had qualified about a year before hand left and the unqualified one was asked to leave?? yes, profit increased by 50%. I would never waste my time with another apprentice, I am yet to find anyone who can apreciate what is being given to them, they always want more money, they complain they have to work late. the reason you cant pay them more money is because they are costing you so much and the reason that they are working late is because they are slowing you down.

My advice is to try and get an aprentiship with a big firm, although you will prob be passed from person to person and not learn a real craft, just how to get the job done as quick as possible as there is usually less pride of work, atleast thats what i have witnessed. A good example of this is a new build near me, i opened the CU and the state of it was awful, slapped in with no thaught or attention, none of the cables were even remotly dressed, just stripped back and rammed in the nearest terminals.

I've had two fantastic apprentices, who are now both very good tradesmen. I would even trust them to work in my house.

I have also had a few lads who were OK but nothing special, and a couple who were binned off at the end of week two.

yes, the one that qualified was and is a very good tradesman, and i, like you, would have him work in my house, infact he did alot of work for my family which i arranged for him as hobbles. i have had aprentices that didnt do more that a day or two.

one lad complained that his hands were hurting from holding the hammer and they complained that the gloves were itching him.

problem is noone wants to take on someone more mature who will actually stick at it and not use it as an excuse to have a laugh because they cant get away with paying them **** all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back