Help installing an outdoor shower with pushfit plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Thought I'd try my first ever plumbing project. In the scheme of things this should be straight forward, as I'm adding to an existing and easily accessible push fit set up.
I want to take hot and cold water from some push fit pipework in my utility room (just pinned to wall to serve a sink and washing machine), into the garden and then fix a manual shower mixer onto a post (happy for any solution that allows me to adjust amount of hot and cold going in) with a shower rose on top.
I just wondered if anyone had an pointers?
Is there a basic type of mixer that will work straight with push fit?
Want to minimise tool purchase.
Anything else I need to think about?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1. I'm not aware of any mixer showers with push fit connections, and I'd be surprised if any exist.
2. Even using push fit, and assuming existing plumbing is plastic, you will need:
2a. Plastic pipe cutters to cut existing and new pipes. Hacksaw does not give a clean enough cut.
2b. Two adjustable spanners, or an adjustable spanner and a set of grips, to tighten shower connections.
2c. Screwdriver(s) and screws to fasten shower and shower head in place.
2d. Inserts for the plastic pipes currently in place and the new ones. Inserts are pipe manufacturer specific.
3. Don't forget the need to provide:
3a. Non-return valves inside the house.
3b. Isolation valves (full bore) for the new pipes, fitted internally.
3c. Drain off points for the external pipework.
4. Make sure measures are installed to prevent the pipes from freezing in winter.
5. Any residual water left in the shower, head or pipes may freeze and crack the device when it thaws.

Thanks for that.
i guess ill have to get down to a plumber merchant and see what connection i need for a shower.
i dont really need something with a thermostatic controller, essentially a mixer tap would do really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back