Help! Is this lead flashing up to scratch?

The internal lead corner detail is hilarious!

Very poor quality work, but i agree with Woodsy with regards to quality standards and price. The corner detail is poor and below standard whereas the straight chase cover flashing is low-end but acceptable.

Sponsored Links
It does look poor to be honest. There are many roofers who can make a very good job of flashings but as one poster mentioned, a proper lead worker would have done it very differently.
My advice to you would be to find a lead worker in the area to come and remove the offending flashing and install single step flashings. They would hide the raked out wall and you would never see what lies beneath.

It's hard to tell from your pictures if the roof is on a shallow pitch, it sort of looks like it is but that could just be the pictures.

Step flashing on a shallow pitched roof doesn't always work out or look good because you have to take the horizontal points of the lead out a long way before the next mortar course below appears. This makes the horizontal points look a bit silly as they are a lot longer than each step down, it also means you have to use wider lead.

On a shallow pitched roof you quite often see a straight chase cut, it's not always done to save time or because the roofer couldn't be bothered, it's to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers.

I would agree with all of that except in this case the bit about aesthetically pleasing, it looks like a complete dogs dinner. whilst it will probably perform OK the builder, if you can even call him that, should hang his head in shame.

Sponsored Links
It looks to be in a well hidden (and sheltered) position, so it's not going to be seen much

Looking at this picture, seems it already had a straight cut chase that he has gone back into ?

Mastic needs tooling properly though.

In my opinion 'standard way' is decided by the age of the house. Stepped flashing is the only acceptable way for a house that age.

I wouldn't pay.

Looking at this picture, seems it already had a straight cut chase that he has gone back into ?

Mastic needs tooling properly though.

Definitely no straight chase before. There is a scar line from the polycarbonate roof that was there before but certainly not chased in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back